RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slow Network Performance

FirstStopCentral

Hi Guys,

I've just started having a weird problem with my frankenbuild that's been going fine for 6 months or so.

All of a sudden, I'm getting really bad throughput when I write files to the shared folders from any of my other machines. Everything is wired with Gigabit ethernet and I'm lucky if I can get (or sustain) 5MB/s. It seems to go fine up around 20-30MB/s at the start and then the transfer stops and starts and crawls along. Sometimes it just seems to stop dead and I have to cancel and restart the copy. All of this is using explorer from either Vista or Win7 machines.

I hate to say, but it seemed to start around the time of PP3 installation, but I suspect that's just a coincidence.

Copying from the WHS to one of my machines seems more reliable, but still not what I used to get. Could consistantly get 40-50MB/s (or more) before bothways, now 10-15MB/s.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Paul
Sydney, Australia

You mentioned it started around PP3, have you turned on the option to transfer recorded TV ? Those files are large. That could be an issue.

Do you have jumbo packets turned on? If you can't turn it on for all computers, turn it off for all of them. You might be confusing the switch. Speaking of which, what switch are you using?

I would capture some network packets and see what traffic is on your network. Wireshark is a great free packet capturing tool and it has super options to filter the display ie show only traffic from a certain IP address or show only tcp traffic on a certain port etc. Once you have any heavy traffic pattern noticed then you can determined what is going on.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Problem fixed. The onboard nic on one of my desktops seemed to be acting up and causing problems network-wide. Have replaced with a PCIexpress nic and the whole network is going a lot better. Strange that the problem didn't effect desktop to desktop network transfers, it just seemed to confuse the WHS.

Thanks again.

Paul