RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WD Red 3TB's Striped Failing - Help

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I have a nice little HP Microserver that I have been using reliably for just under a year now, however I am experiencing some worrying issues all of a sudden with my Striped drives used for Media.

I have 3 X WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 3TB drives, 2 of which I setup as a Striped drive of 6TB purely for media. All of a sudden my transfer speeds either drop to low Kb/s or they show 0Kb and fail to transfer. Media barely plays and accessing folders takes a lot longer to load the contents. This has been occurring this last week.

Disk management is showing one of the stripped drives as "Healthy - At Risk"

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-28%20at%2011.10.

I have tried looking for solutions online but no joy and most forums seem to mention sector errors and/or partition table but no solutions to fix. I carried out Disk De-frag and Clean Up with the OS tools but no change in behaviour.

Can anyone offer any solutions? Anything I can do to fix this?

I have a bad feeling I will need to lose the stored data and break the RAID apart and check/scan each disk individually? I have never done this kind of process so any help much appreciated in terms of guides or what software to use.

Lastly any advice where I would stand with warranty? I live in Thailand and purchased them from a reputable store but not sure whether to contact the store or Western Digital?

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/10339/9/3.0-TB-HDD-NAS-WD-RED

I am disappointed to have this issue when spending around £90 each drive and buying RED drives specifically for NAS. The server has never been knocked or moved about so I have no idea how this has happened. The only things I can think of is either heat, using drive to download torrents or a recent large iTunes scan to add over 80GB of music which seemed to stress the system.

Thanks in advanced for any help you guys can offer.

Edited by Bmouthboyo

As a follow on this is a Task Manager screenshot of the Drive activity when the transfer rate is hitting around 170KB/s but this often fails anyway and cites an I/O device error. Is something else using the drive? Why is it showing 100%?

6927e868-8e99-4a95-9b06-246a3059d74b_zps

I would transfer a load of my favourite Media to my other 3TB drive but the transfer speed is so slow and unreliable I do not think that is even an option.

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Check the SMART data on these disks.

There are plenty of tools to do this (StableBit Scanner, Windows SMART, HD Sentinel, etc).

I'm guessing that one of these disks are failing. And the SMART data should confirm that.

Also, check the Event Viewer (run "eventvwr.msc") for disk or related errors, to double check what the issue is.

Also, I am very sorry to hear about the disk issues.

In the future, I would highly recommend a solution like StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender in the future. This way, if a disk does outright fails, you don't lose everything on both disks.

Check the SMART data on these disks.

There are plenty of tools to do this (StableBit Scanner, Windows SMART, HD Sentinel, etc).

I'm guessing that one of these disks are failing. And the SMART data should confirm that.

Also, check the Event Viewer (run "eventvwr.msc") for disk or related errors, to double check what the issue is.

Also, I am very sorry to hear about the disk issues.

In the future, I would highly recommend a solution like StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender in the future. This way, if a disk does outright fails, you don't lose everything on both disks.

Thank you for your reply Drashna, most helpful.

I installed CrystalDiskInfo and this is what it says about one of my striped drives, Although I do not really know what to do with that info.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-30%20at%2008.55.

Event Viewer states some errors:

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-30%20at%2007.58.

Ignore Blue Iris I clicked by mistake

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-30%20at%2007.58.

I am also currently running a surface test but it is taking a long time (over 12 hours already).

Do these offer any info on what I should do next? Is it almost certainly a bad HDD? I have no idea how this could have happened if so.

I'm not sure about the exact value of the Current Pending Sector Count value, but that it's triggered is not good. In conjunction with the Reallocated Sector Count warning, as well.... It definitely indicates an issue. :(

This is collaborated by the "bad block" errors you're seeing. In fact, the Current Pending value is probably the bad blocks that it is finding.

The drive is most likely bad, and should be replaced!

Clear your data off, break up the array, and RMA the bad drive. 

If I may make a suggestion here:
Never use Dynamic Disks.  They're horrible in just about every case. Storage Spaces would be better.

A better solution here would be StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender. 

Both of these solutions are file based. That means if a disk fails, you don't lose everything. The contents of one disk will be intact and recoverable. And you could add another drive and remove that bad drive (hopefully).

Also, both programs use a disk monitoring tool. StableBit DrivePool uses StableBit Scanner (which does a surface scan every 30 days, in addition to reading SMART data), and Drive Bender uses HD Sentinel Lite (which is free, and monitors the SMART data).

These would be a better solution for your data.

I'm not sure about the exact value of the Current Pending Sector Count value, but that it's triggered is not good. In conjunction with the Reallocated Sector Count warning, as well.... It definitely indicates an issue. :(

This is collaborated by the "bad block" errors you're seeing. In fact, the Current Pending value is probably the bad blocks that it is finding.

The drive is most likely bad, and should be replaced!

Clear your data off, break up the array, and RMA the bad drive. 

If I may make a suggestion here:

Never use Dynamic Disks.  They're horrible in just about every case. Storage Spaces would be better.

A better solution here would be StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender. 

Both of these solutions are file based. That means if a disk fails, you don't lose everything. The contents of one disk will be intact and recoverable. And you could add another drive and remove that bad drive (hopefully).

Also, both programs use a disk monitoring tool. StableBit DrivePool uses StableBit Scanner (which does a surface scan every 30 days, in addition to reading SMART data), and Drive Bender uses HD Sentinel Lite (which is free, and monitors the SMART data).

These would be a better solution for your data.

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely look into those software based solutions. The reason I chose Dynamic Disk was firstly it is built into the OS so no costs, installations etc and mainly I thought they would offer the best transfer speeds for viewing HD content with high bandwidths.

Do you still get the speeds with StableBit or DrivePool?

Lastly I seem to have misplaced my receipts annoyingly, but seing as I have had this over a year I think my warranty lies with the Manufacturer as the site states 3 years. Would WD still replace without a receipt?

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely look into those software based solutions. The reason I chose Dynamic Disk was firstly it is built into the OS so no costs, installations etc and mainly I thought they would offer the best transfer speeds for viewing HD content with high bandwidths.

Do you still get the speeds with StableBit or DrivePool?

For speeds, it depends. Smaller files, not so much (but that's typical).

How are you planning on using the files on the array? Locally? Over the network?

Caveat:  I do work for Covecube Inc, the company that produces StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner. But I've been a supporter of the product long before getting hired by the company. And I do try to be as unbiased as possible (but I was biased beforehand, which doesn't help)

However, from my pool, I get ~100MB/s read speeds off of the drive over the network. 

Considering that the max theoretical for gigabit is 125MB/s, not accounting protocol overhead and configuration settings that may cause performance drops ... that's really good.

As for local disk access, in the 100-120MB/s ballpark.

Part of that is because StableBit DrivePool does do "Read Striping" to help boost performance.

Drive Bender does appear to do similar optimization for reading, so that you should see faster speeds than just a native drive.

Both of these do depend on the files being duplicated (mirrored), I believe. 

And both options are less than $40, and well worth the money.

At this time:

StableBit DrivePool is $19.95, plus an additional $15 if you want to get StableBit Scanner as well.

Drive Bender is $24.95 (and includes HD Sentinel Lite, I believe)

Both products offer a fully featured trial. StableBit DrivePool is a 30 day trial, while Drive Bender is 60 days.

Lastly I seem to have misplaced my receipts annoyingly, but seing as I have had this over a year I think my warranty lies with the Manufacturer as the site states 3 years. Would WD still replace without a receipt?

Receipt isn't needed. Just check the warranty on Western Digital's site:

http://wdsupport.wdc.com/warranty/warrantycheck.asp?custtype=end

That should tell you the warrant period (and when it expires), and allow you to RMA the drives if needed.

Also, you can do an advanced replacement, if needed. They put a hold on a credit/debit card, and ship you the drive immediately. Once you get it, you have a couple of weeks to return the bad drive (I think, not sure about the exact frame of time). Once you've returned the drive, they should clear the hold and NOT charge you for the drive.

This may be the best option in your situation. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for your advice, I contacted WD on the link you sent and they are going to replace it so I am happy. Still a bit worried as to how this happened but at least nothing crucial lost.

Can I ask one pointer, how do I delete the stripped RAID? I googled it but people were talking about reinstalling windows which I dont want to do. I presume that is it the OS is installed on a striped drive, which mine isnt?

Can I break the 2 drives up into serperate ones under disk manager?

Cheers

I'm glad to hear it was still under warranty! And yeah, WD (and Seagate) are very good about their RMA policies.

As for deleting the stripped array, just delete the volume. It will delete it from both disks., and then you can add new partitions (or ideally, convert to a "basic" disk, and then create partitions).

And yes, the "resinstall" thing is if it's the OS drive. Since it's not, you should be able to delete the volume without any issues.

Well, you lose the contents of the striped volume, which is why you want to move the contents off of it first.

I guess you know you can replace the bad drive of the mirror with a new drive and the mirror will rebuild.  I would have a backup in case you do it wrong. 

Edited by coxhaus