RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to Gen8 possible GPU install

macklondon

Hi,

Just got one Gen8 and would like to know if it would support a Nvidea GTX 750 (55W) low profile, it will fit, just concerned about the power, seen reports of ATI HD 7750 (also 55W) working.

Also, would it work with a CPU E3-1270V2?

Any PDU update available for Gen8 with more wattage or any mod`s?

Would be great if i could install this gaming capable card also use my server as HTPC occasionally.

Planning to have installed:

G1610T upgrade to E3- 1270V2 (69W)

1x Seagate Archive Hard drive 8TB (for MVK files already full)

1x Seagate Archive Hard drive 5TB (for MVK files already full)

1x Intel SSD 320 series 160GB for OS windows 7 or 8.1 running Plex

Nvidea GTX 750 low profile (55W)

Thanks.

You're going to have heat issues with your combination of high TDP CPU and GPU. The CPU heatsink is fanless and was specced for the stock 35W CPU. The main case fan is fully under the control of iLO and you can't adjust it beyond setting certain cooling profiles in the BIOS setup so you may find it to be too noisy for HTPC usage.

The PSU is a standard FlexATX module and is 200W for a EU spec G8 Microserver. The US spec G8 Microserver for some reason comes with a 150W PSU.

Be aware that the iLO remote console will not work properly with the nVidia GPU. It can only display the internal Matrox G200 clone.

• Like 1

Thanks GotNOTIME,

Ok lets say if i only install the GTX 750 and not upgrade the CPU (i would keep the stock one) would the GPU/Microserver works?

Wouldn't mind to lose ilo if i am able to install the GPU 

And what If i get:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Flex-320W-Suitable-Cases/dp/B00H3EW4MS

With the fan below with an active mod would that cope?

gelid-1u-slim2.gif

Ok lets say if i only install the GTX 750 and not upgrade the CPU (i would keep the stock one) would the GPU/Microserver works?

Wouldn't mind to lose ilo if i am able to install the GPU

It should be fine if you do that.

It should be okay to swap.

With the fan below with an active mod would that cope?

gelid-1u-slim2.gif

I don't know if the mounting holes are standard on the G8 Microserver.

Nope it won't work. This one is for AMD.

G8 got non-standard 65mmx75mm heatsink. This one (75mmx75mm and 73mmx73mm) might work  with only 2 screws installed diagonally: GELID Slim Silence i-Plus.

Not sure it won't touch other components though.

Edited by heliox
  • Like 1

I have an EU PSU Gen 8 Microserver (with both the Intel Xeon v3 1230 v2 (69W TDP)  and a R7 250E GPU, so it is possible to upgrade CPU and put a reasonable GPU in. I did put a fan on the CPU but it does have non-standard fixings, so is currently fixed in place with two of the bolts but is securely held in place.

I followed this post for the cpu and fan upgrade as didn't want to risk using a passive heat sink and didn't want to try lapping the cpu

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6170-active-cpu-cooling-for-the-

Although I took my power supply by adding a splitter to the Molex connector just below where the DVD drive would go.

For the GPU found this thread discussing available low profile graphics cards that draw low power

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94408

As I had upgraded the cpu was concerned about the available power from the psu but as people were using the GPU on different i5 with similar psu limits and reports of what the Gen8 pulls at idle with celeron decided it will be ok.

System seems stable although it does generate slightly more heat but fan seems to running at a similar levels to the non upgraded version.