RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing OS on SD card

djechelon

Hi all, I just bought my new Gen8 microserver. I didn't know that it hosts a MicroSD slot. I would like to ask if it's possible (and possibly how to) install a Windows OS into the SD card, and if that OS could be Windows Home Server 2011. I know it could be unrecommended, especially if the card hosts a swap file, but I'd like to know if it is at least possible. I'm still struggling to get my 4th disk for the array because the one I received is defective. Installing the OS to a disk that is out of the array is a benefit for me. I think I saw an option in Intelligent provisioning to install Windows onto the SD, but I don't yet have a clear idea of the process. This is my first microserver, bought for home usage purposes. Thanks a lot.

By the way, this is from HP docs

This provides a consistent and simple method for deploying Windows or Linux operating systems to SD media.
Required revisions of Intelligent Provisioning are versions 1.50 or later

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-9872ENW.pdf

Edited by djechelon

You can instill some Linux and VMware to the SD Card but no you can not install windows to the SD Card (it would see it as a USB Removable device and prevents installs to it.)   You best option is to use the on board Sata port for a raid 0 drive and install a SSD up in the cdrom area or behind where the cdrom sits.   Better yet you could insall a Schoondoggy SDM drive bracket available for purchase off the site to hang up to 4 drives off the power supply.   either way you have a fast boot drive followed by a 4 drive raid 10 or 2 mirror sets using the onboard raid

• Like 1

Out of pure curiosity, how do I connect 4 SATA drives physically mounted on the PSU to the motherboard? Buying a PCIex SATA card perhaps?

I'm not yet interested in that hardcore expansion, just curious

Out of pure curiosity, how do I connect 4 SATA drives physically mounted on the PSU to the motherboard? Buying a PCIex SATA card perhaps?

Yes. Usually people buy a new RAID or HBA card to run the 4 drive bays and use the built-in SATA controller to run the extra drives. You do it that way round because the built-in SATA controller is SATA-III 6Gbps on the first two ports only. The remaining 2 ports and ODD port are SATA-II 3Gbps only. Edited by GotNoTime

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I still have another question: when I discovered the SD card slot I ordered a 64GB card. Today it arrived and I tried to start Intelligent Provisioning to attempt to do something (I still have a missing disk, so I was playing around).

But I stumbled upon this error: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Invalid-HP-SDCard/td-p/6678624#.VUFKgJPw_1w

Device: HP SDCard

HD: /dev/sdd [64GB in megabytes]

Invalid HP SDCard

I'm thinking HP only allows certified memory cards (more than certified RAM, I couldn't use my Vengeance sticks), can you confirm that?

Currently I can't even start the installation of WHS2011, but I think this forum has plenties of information on how to install it into the array or a different disk (if I attach an SDD to the ODD controller)

I still have another question: when I discovered the SD card slot I ordered a 64GB card. Today it arrived and I tried to start Intelligent Provisioning to attempt to do something (I still have a missing disk, so I was playing around).

But I stumbled upon this error: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Invalid-HP-SDCard/td-p/6678624#.VUFKgJPw_1w

Device: HP SDCard

HD: /dev/sdd [64GB in megabytes]

Invalid HP SDCard

I'm thinking HP only allows certified memory cards (more than certified RAM, I couldn't use my Vengeance sticks), can you confirm that?

Intelligent Provisioning doesn't work with non-HP SD cards. The server itself generally doesn't care but IP does.

Currently I can't even start the installation of WHS2011, but I think this forum has plenties of information on how to install it into the array or a different disk (if I attach an SDD to the ODD controller)

Windows Server (with Hyper-V) can't be solely installed to a SD card. Hyper-V Server can be installed to a SD card but that is a different product with a slightly confusing name. Edited by GotNoTime

...and I guess there is no hacking to that, I mean in order for a third party card to be detected as an HP card.

And, I understood I can't install WHS to SD card, but my problem was about installing WHS via IP to HDD or how to get a proper AHCI/RAID driver if I boot from DVD (otherwise I get no disks detected).

Currently I haven't created the array yet, so I'm just making quite some experiments before "going live".

Thank you for the info, I don't need an Hyper-V server because mine is more of a media server than a virtualization server ;-)

...and I guess there is no hacking to that, I mean in order for a third party card to be detected as an HP card.

You'd need to modify IP to do that and AFAIK, nobody has even attempted it.

And, I understood I can't install WHS to SD card, but my problem was about installing WHS via IP to HDD or how to get a proper AHCI/RAID driver if I boot from DVD (otherwise I get no disks detected).

If you're not intending to install to the SD card then just take it out until you're done with IP. You can insert the card again once you've installed WHS. Make sure that the boot order is corret though and it doesn't start trying to boot from the SD card.