RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jcollison

Jim Starts his Build! Finally

jcollison

Okay...so it took me a couple of months, but I finally got some parts ordered for my next WHS build. Glad I waited and it was a great process going thru it all with you on the show and in the forums. Thanks to all those who chimed in.

Here is what I ordered...

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530

GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (This board may become an HTPC or my main rig at a later date!)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Came to $325 with Shipping. It is going into an existing Antec 900 Case that was handed down to me from my 17 year old gaming son. Thanks Josh. It already has a good power supply in it.

Going to use a 320GB drive as the primary and still need to pick up a few 2 TB drives to fill up the space. Next month on the drives.

Vail Beta 2 goes on it as soon as it comes out or right after I get it built. Also planning to test some virtualization options on it as well. More on that later.

More when the parts come in.

CablDeViL

Jim,

Are you going to stream HD content to your extenders/WMC? Why the i3 and not the i5 for Vail. The Mem and Mobo rock you will be very happy there.

Bill

jcollison

CBDVL - no plans to stream HD content from the Home Server at this point. If that changes, will upgrade either the chip or the rig to an i5.

Wanted to test the i3 before I moved up to an i5. Very good question. PCDOC worked thru the math with me.

CablDeViL

Oh I am sure he did. Doc loves his stats! I am surprised the i3 would have a problem pushing the overhead for hd content. I only have a AMD dual core 2.8 and it works great. But maybe I off load the cpu with my intel server NIC card. Interesting........ then again my content is in a mvk container. I'm sure PcDoc will clear this up.

i-bystander

Maybe I'm just really cheap, but aren't those parts just a little bit overkill for a WHS? What's your goal here, Jim?

jcollison

Trying to think a bit ahead and I like to build with a little bit of room in mind. The Virtualization alone will consume most of the RAM and CPU when I am using it. But another good question.

Once I have a good idea of what Vail will really take, I will most likely replace these components and move this box to either my main PC or an HTPC. That's the plan at the moment.

Keep them coming...

i-bystander

Perhaps I missed it, but what are the specs of your current Main PC and HTPC? Just trying to get a sense of what most everyone has...

jcollison

I currently don't run an HTPC (we use and XBOX 360 as an extender). My main PC is a Core 2 Duo E5400. 3GB of RAM.

Dave

I am currently testing an almost identical parts list Jim. I've hinted towards it on the last two shows and am in the middle of testing and writing it up.

i-bystander

Hmmm... how is it that the new WHS build is more powerful than your main PC? I might be way off base here, but shouldn't it be the other way around? I guess this is why I don't have a dedicated WHS at the moment... :)