RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Server Show 279

itGeeks

Great show & thanks for spending more of my money. What Synology box is Dewain using for the storage in his RV? I am a bit nervous about trying to buy an HTPC on the cheap side because I have got burned to many times but this HP box has got my eye for a new setup for my daughter. I would be installing Plex as well I my only hope is its not under powered for Plex. Dave I don't use Twitter, Cant stand Twitter so an email address to contact your quest for questions would be great

Thankx

Edited by MrFixit

I've been looking for a new HTPC for my bedroom for a while now and also afraid to buy a lot of the stuff out there as I have been burned a few things.

I looked at the hp stream boxes but just didn't like the look of it.

I'm now considering the windows version of the minix neo z64. Just watching the price now to see if it will drop any. It comes with win8 and seems powerful enough to run xbmc fairly well on it.

I've been looking for a new HTPC for my bedroom for a while now and also afraid to buy a lot of the stuff out there as I have been burned a few things.

I looked at the hp stream boxes but just didn't like the look of it.

I'm now considering the windows version of the minix neo z64. Just watching the price now to see if it will drop any. It comes with win8 and seems powerful enough to run xbmc fairly well on it.

The Minix z64 looks interesting but be very careful when you are comparing the HP Stream to the Minix. At first glance the Minix looks nice & a quick comparison of the processors show that the Minix maybe a tad faster but I think that's where the honeymoon ends. The specs on the Minix shows the unit comes with 2GB DDR3 memory with no option to exspand it while the HP comes with 2GB DDR3 with support for up-to 16GB. The Minix also has a 32GB eMMC of storage only upgrade to 64GB while the HP has 32GB mSATA and I here it can be upgrade to 256GB and from what I am reading mSATA is faster the eMMC so just be carfull of how you are comparing products to try and avoid i big disappointment. All that said I am going to purchase the HP-Stream, they are basically the same price on Amazon right now and the HP has more upgrade options and not to mention the HP has 4 USB3 ports and the Minix only has 2 USB2 ports. The looks of the HP may not be pleasing to some but then again this device is small and can be hidden behind the TV or a picture frame or even in a cabinet as examples.

Here is the full spec sheet for HP-Stream http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2015/2015CES/StreamMiniDesktop.pdf

Edited by MrFixit

The Minix z64 looks interesting but be very careful when you are comparing the HP Stream to the Minix. At first glance the Minix looks nice & a quick comparison of the processors show that the Minix maybe a tad faster but I think that's where the honeymoon ends. The specs on the Minix shows the unit comes with 2GB DDR3 memory with no option to exspand it while the HP comes with 2GB DDR3 with support for up-to 16GB. The Minix also has a 32GB eMMC of storage only upgrade to 64GB while the HP has 32GB mSATA and I here it can be upgrade to 256GB and from what I am reading mSATA is faster the eMMC so just be carfull of how you are comparing products to try and avoid i big disappointment. All that said I am going to purchase the HP-Stream, they are basically the same price on Amazon right now and the HP has more upgrade options and not to mention the HP has 4 USB3 ports and the Minix only has 2 USB2 ports. The looks of the HP may not be pleasing to some but then again this device is small and can be hidden behind the TV or a picture frame or even in a cabinet as examples.

Here is the full spec sheet for HP-Stream http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2015/2015CES/StreamMiniDesktop.pdf

All valid points.  For my case I'm just using it to run XBMC and a few plugins.  I'm not a fan of the android devices and have had the best luck running XBMC on windows hence why I'm looking for it.  The memory and storage isn't a deal breaker to me.  However the fact that is has an IR port was a plus as well since I will be using a Harmony remote with it.  Even though I could get something like the FLIRC for the HP.

It's just the price at this point stopping me from pulling the trigger.