RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx

Ethernet switch problems caused by power supply

kylejwx

What is trunking?  Is it possibly related to NIC teaming?

kylejwx

TPG best value for money IMO.

I am not familiar with TPG.  Is that a brand of networking gear?

oj88

What is trunking?  Is it possibly related to NIC teaming?

Something like that. But with the current versions of Windows (8.x and Server 2012), NIC teaming no longer requires a smart or managed switch. However, if you need to connect another smart switch at another location, trunking allows you to aggregate several physical ports together to increase bandwidth between them.

Again, I personally woulld prefer the smart switch. But in your case, you'll probably be fine with the non-smart switch especially if you don't intend to use any of the advanced features.

Poppapete

I am not familiar with TPG.  Is that a brand of networking gear?

Sorry - TP-Link.

TPG is an ISP here in Australia I was dealing with at the time.

kylejwx

Yes, after searching, I saw the Australian ISP named TPG, but didn't see any hardware from them. :)

Glad to hear that TP-Link has worked well for you.  TP-Link was a brand I was considering and I ended up going with this one from them for only $20: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-8-port-gigabit-ethernet-unmanaged-switch-black/3604296.p?id=1218419330578&skuid=3604296&sellerId=

oj88

TP-Link has become better through the years. I've had aesthetics issues with their earlier wireless router products 6-7 years ago (ie. LEDs burning out). Even so, they remain operational to this day.

My relatively newer TP-Link WDR-4300 (24/7 @ 4 years old) still works like it was new. Already flashed it to DD-WRT just for heck of it. :)