RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx

Ethernet switch problems caused by power supply

kylejwx

I was trying to move some gear but the wall wart plug that powers my 8 port Ethernet switch would not fit in the power strip the old way so I flipped it upside down. All the lights are showing connected but I keep dropping connection. Does it matter which way you plug in the power adapter?

jmwills

"Wall Wart Plug"?

schoondoggy

I was trying to move some gear but the wall wart plug that powers my 8 port Ethernet switch would not fit in the power strip the old way so I flipped it upside down. All the lights are showing connected but I keep dropping connection. Does it matter which way you plug in the power adapter?

It shouldn't matter, does it work if you flip the plug over? Check all of your connections. Do you have more than one switch?

These help with wall warts and power strips:

http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT1212542-Liberator-14-Inch-Extension/dp/B000EWVSZK

cskenney

Power adapters (wall wart transformers) usually don't care which way they are plugged in. Internally there are diodes that change the AC to DC and step it down. If it mattered the plug would be polarized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oj88

I used to have a couple of cheap 8-port switches that started to give me random connectivity issues after about a year of continuous use. It turned out to be caused by bloated capacitors inside the switches themselves. I replaced the dried-up caps and got another year or so of use from them until I replaced both with a smart switch.

c4ff313d.jpg

kylejwx

@schoondoggy those extentions are a great idea! I need to get some.

I will try to flip it back the other way and see what happens. I don't want to spend much time trouble shooting. I need to reinstall windows soon anyway so I might do that to eliminate that variable.

This could just be a "cheap switch promblem" like oj88 says.

kylejwx

My server won't connect either so, it's not just my Windows 8 installation. I am thinking that this switch is just bad.  Any recommendations for a quality 8 port switch?  Should I even bother asking trendnet to replace it?

oj88

The 128kB is per port while the 3MB is for the switch as a whole (384kB per port). If it's just me, I'd get the smart switch (first link in your post) to give you a bit more versatility (ie. VLANs, trunking, etc). You may or may not need it now but you'll never know when it might become useful.

Poppapete

TPG best value for money IMO.