RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win 7 tablet

Dave

Guest no-control

You missed one

Mobile20Photo20Aug2022020102082048201120AM.jpg

OEMs need to quit putting full PC os's on "tablets" It's barely acceptable on convertables.

Tablets at the moment are just Toys imo not really all the useful. I already have a smartphone that does all these things, I don't see the point of having a ginormous cell phone minus the phone part. :rolleyes: They really need to work on making the interface a little less phone like. I realize gesture based tech is all phone right now. but just like squeezing a PC os down onto a small device doesn't work (old windows mobile anyone?) blowing up a phone OS seems silly. I want an interface appropriate to the size of the device I'm using.

I may change my tune once I see some competition to the iFail...err iPad later this year. Andriod has a small chance but I still don't see it doing anything different than a phone unless they get tablet specific home screens. WebOS seems like a strong contender but I think the lack of apps will make for a slow start. The windows mobile platform with the "hubs" and panoramic menus might make for a more compelling experiance on a tablet. I'm old so most likely I'll have a hard time getting around the idea these are just toys.

For reference I've already paid my dues as a geek on failtech; R.O.B., Powerglove, Virtualboy, eePc, ATi x800, HT extenders, Xbox360 (RRoD? WTF)

I'll let you guys sort it out...

this post was crafted on my Core i7 PC in glorious triple panel high definition :P

Agreed, They need to cut the bloat out and make a OS version that is just for the PAD. I dont need an os that needs a quad core with a gforce 8800+ to run smoothly.

I like what ubuntu did with the netbook OS. Android will do the same. This post was brought to you by the letter F.

What I get tired of is manufacturers not being innovative. This looks to be like a perfect example of, "Hey, I can make a tablet that looks like an iPad and toss Windows 7 on it, that'll make me some money!" Way to go OEM, you were invited to the potluck and didn't bring a dish.

I am really hoping they will bring the Metro UI that is planned for Win Phone 7 to a consumer tablet. I have had tablets for about 5 years (Slate & Convertible).The convertible was useful because it was full fledge laptop with the touchscreen for drawing or taking notes. It was my main laptop till I wore the hinge out. The slate gets used by my kids as drawing pad mostly. The slate is 4-5 years old running XP Tablets and has about 5 hours of battery so only use it when I really want to be sure I can't do much (like on vacation), it keeps me from getting in trouble and provides just enough capabilities to get something done if I have too...

I do see a market for consumer tablets, some people still want a Phone to be just a phone (My wife - She doesn't want to pay for a data plan when she has Wi-Fi available to her except when driving for 20 minutes a day and would prefer a bigger screen). A tablet would get her access to the Apps via Wi-Fi without spending $360 over 2 years with AT&T. I am not into paying an apple tax so I am waiting to see what Android tablets can do before the holiday season.

Also there are niche cases in verticals like healthcare where you need the full OS on a tablet for application support. I use to work in healthcare and our Point of Care application allowed nurses to complete medical forms on tablets and transmit them electronically without having to complete a paper form and then it is keyed in later to the application.

First think that came to mind was "SLOW".

I am spoiled with fast application startup times, etc..

And the fact I used an iPad for a few days last week and it's nice and fast.

Win tablets still have their space, but I can understand how they can seem like "fail" devices for consumers. I am definitely in the minority hoping to see the HP Slate released with Windows 7 and an active digitizer (not capacitive) screen. I have yet to find something that even comes close to a slate Win tablet when it comes to the inking experience (OneNote was a savior for school). However, I do admit that I rarely used it outside of the inking scenario. A device like that exists in a vertical market, but it has a market nonetheless. In terms of a consumer device, yes, it is total fail and OEM's are not going to get very far trying to cram an OS designed to be used with HIDs into a touch driven device.