RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Boot ESXi from MicroSD?

ak88

I am having problems with this. I bought a Sandisk Ultra 8GB MicroSD, I booted to the custom HP ESXi 6.0 image and it recognised the SD card so I installed it there. Now I can't seem to boot from the SD card.

I have read countless threads about this but couldn't find any answers. I have set the USB priority in the BIOS to MicroSD and the boot priority to USB but the server will not boot from the MicroSD card.

System ROM: J06 06/06/2014

iLO FW: 2.10

Any ideas? I thought the HP cards were only required for intelligent provisioning whereas I have already installed the hypervisor. 

Thanks

It is my understanding as well that the HP card requirement is for IP.

Did you follow this process:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1020655

Do you have a different micro SD card you could try?

Looks like they recommend a 16GB card:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2004784

Those are the steps I followed, I'm not sure why they recommend a 16GB card when it fits on a smaller one though  :blink: I thought a good quality card would be the priority which is why I went for this one.

The main issue is actually booting from SD, a problem that seems quite common. I am in the process of speedtesting my USB sticks to try the same procedure using the internal USB port. 

The 16Gb is to give room for a scratch partition.

I have had odd results trying to boot from SD. Certain cards work in some systems and not others.

Ok thanks, that was the impression I got from reading the forum. Shame as it would have been a neat solution. 

Will try the USB and go from there, I have my RAID5 array ready now so just need to start creating VMs!!

Ok thanks, that was the impression I got from reading the forum. Shame as it would have been a neat solution. 

Will try the USB and go from there, I have my RAID5 array ready now so just need to start creating VMs!!

8GB is fine for ESXi. The installer won't create a scratch partition for USB drives or SD cards due to the limited write cycles for flash. You can create the scratch partition manually or just set it up to use your main datastore.

You're probably experiencing the bug with IP/SPP where it disables the SD slot. Turn off your microserver and unplug it from the mains for 10 seconds. Plug it back in again and it should start booting from the SD slot again.

I have had odd issues with a Transcend SD card where it would occasionally fail to boot. I swapped it out with a Samsung SD card and haven't had any problems since.

• Like 1

8GB is fine for ESXi. The installer won't create a scratch partition for USB drives or SD cards due to the limited write cycles for flash. You can create the scratch partition manually or just set it up to use your main datastore.

You're probably experiencing the bug with IP/SPP where it disables the SD slot. Turn off your microserver and unplug it from the mains for 10 seconds. Plug it back in again and it should start booting from the SD slot again.

I have had odd issues with a Transcend SD card where it would occasionally fail to boot. I swapped it out with a Samsung SD card and haven't had any problems since.

Do you happen to remember the part number of the Transcend card?

The very expensive HP micro SD cards run a from the fast page and they are ECC. The only other micro SD card I found that was ECC was some of the Transcend cards. There seems to be issues with Transcend cards and HP servers. I have to wonder if the ECC makes the system think it is a HP card, but cant identify it. Or I could just be way over thinking this.

Do you happen to remember the part number of the Transcend card?

The very expensive HP micro SD cards run a from the fast page and they are ECC. The only other micro SD card I found that was ECC was some of the Transcend cards. There seems to be issues with Transcend cards and HP servers. I have to wonder if the ECC makes the system think it is a HP card, but cant identify it. Or I could just be way over thinking this.

It was TS8GUSDHC4. I bought it direct from Amazon but the page link is http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XIB9SW

Edited by GotNoTime

I use a 2GB sd card with ESXi 6.0  (one of the cheap ones that came with my old blackberry)

Have you tried to downgrade your iLo version to 2.03?  It seems to be the only version that works consistently for me.