RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P222 1783 Failure - How to update Firmware to test?

ak88

I finally got my hands on a P222 controller for my Gen8 Microserver. I fitted it and fired the server up to be met with this error during POST:

"SLOT 1 HP Smart Array P222 Controller, 1783-Slot 1 Drive Array Controller Faulire! [self-test failure (cmd=0h, err=00h, lockup=0DEAD:DEADh)]"

After a very brief Google search I found an HP page that suggested updating the firmware. It sounds like a sensible place to start, is v6.34 the latest firmware for this card? I found it on the HP site:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5194889&swItemId=MTX_004db63eac8c4fd199bef60763&swEnvOid=4168#tab3

Excuse my ignorance, but I have no OS installed atm. Is there a way to update the FW pre-boot or using a bootable CD?

Starting to lose my patience as I bought the server nearly two months ago and there has been hold up after hold up, just want to start using it and experimenting with ESXi so any help/advice would be fantastic :)

Thanks for that, the P222 is on v6.00 so I will run that disc.

In case it helps anyone else, I seem to have fixed my problem by removing the FBWC and disconnecting the battery, powering the server on (error disappeared, new error relating to no FBWC installed). Power off server, reinsert and connect battery, power on and all seems ok. Apparently it is because the battery was probably drained and somehow this fixes it. Not fully tested but now the error has gone :)

Thanks for that, the P222 is on v6.00 so I will run that disc.

In case it helps anyone else, I seem to have fixed my problem by removing the FBWC and disconnecting the battery, powering the server on (error disappeared, new error relating to no FBWC installed). Power off server, reinsert and connect battery, power on and all seems ok. Apparently it is because the battery was probably drained and somehow this fixes it. Not fully tested but now the error has gone :)

The HP page you're referring to is for a different error. There is a German forum that refers to that error as well but that seems to be all there is on the internet.

My best guess is that the FBWC wasn't seated properly or it had gotten into an odd state which removing power entirely cured.

The battery pack isn't actually a battery for the P222 FBWC. It is a super capacitor which charges within seconds. The capacity is much less but that is because it only needs to supply enough for the FBWC module to dump everything in RAM to flash. The latest Smart Array FBWCs have gone back to using a battery because of the capacity issues. They're using Lithium battery technology now though instead of NiMH like the old BBWC batteries so it is rated for 7 years of usage.

• Like 1