RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD's for the G8? 8TB..hmm

samuk

Currently have 2Tb 5900rpm drives x3 connected to a P410 raid controller..

need more space, and possibly faster disks - anyone know of any good deals of 4TB Drives? will need 3 - 4?

these came up, not sure if supported..little expensive...

http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/seagate-archive-hard-drive-8tb-internal-3-5--sata-6gb-s-B35T.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20pr

I know i have seen the WD 5TB reds for 199 from newegg/neweggbusiness.  Seems the price on NAS drives have been hanging right at the $40 per TB price for a while now across the board.  Archive Disk I would not use in a NAS as they are made for seldom reads and writes.  

From Seagate's Website

Archive HDDs are not intended for surveillance or NAS applications, and you may experience lower performance in these environments. For these applications, Seagate NAS HDDs and Seagate Surveillance HDDs are suggested for better performance and reliability.

In my mind I would equate these as high density WD green drives.   Useful for backing up via a HD Dock for offsite backups but not running data in a 24x7 server

Archive HDDs are not intended for surveillance or NAS applications, and you may experience lower performance in these environments. For these applications, Seagate NAS HDDs and Seagate Surveillance HDDs are suggested for better performance and reliability.

In my mind I would equate these as high density WD green drives.   Useful for backing up via a HD Dock for offsite backups but not running data in a 24x7 server

The Seagate Archive drives are fine operating 24x7. The exceptions for usage are because they're shingled magnetic recording (SMR) drives. Whenever you write to the drive, it has to rewrite a large block due to the overlapping tracks. The drive handles it all internally but you'll get a delay every so often as it performs this housekeeping. Those random bursts of high latency aren't good if you're using it as a CCTV recorder or NAS.

It's important to note it's only rewrites that SMR has issues with.  I'm currently filling my 8TB Archive drives, and they're going at 100MB/s constant, which is basically as fast as the source machine can do.

• Like 1