RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snicko

Expanding OS Drive from 60gb Partition

snicko

Hi All,

I have WHS 2011 - I have a 2tb drive for my os, however at install it was partitioned as 60gb. I shrunk my d partition and was hoping to extend my c drive partition but drive manager wont let me.

All my shares are on my raid array

Any advice on how to do this?

yodafett

PartedMagic might be able to help you but I would not count on it.    When you have 2 Partitions on a drive partition 1 can not be extended normally due to where Partition 2 is started.  Old ways would be to copy the d drive off and extend c then rebuild d or  you could convert C to dynamic and then add to the partition at the end of the disk

jmwills

Okay, I'll bite.  Why do you need a root partition larger than 60 gigs?

Drashna Jaelre

Okay, I'll bite.  Why do you need a root partition larger than 60 gigs?

Logs, updates, temp, metadata.

I was running a 120GB SSD and recently upgraded to a 256GB (because my system drive failed... go OCZ....)

oj88

60GB is probably fine if you don't have 3rd-party apps installed.

I have a 100GB system partition and it's already using up 70GB.

Drashna Jaelre

60GB is probably fine if you don't have 3rd-party apps installed.

I have a 100GB system partition and it's already using up 70GB.

I mostly agree. If you install ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE on the server, you may be fine.

However....

I'm using 35GBs for the system on a clean system. That's with nothing else installed, and just updates.

Also, it can use up to 8GBs for the page file (max size, as that's the max memory supported), as well as up to 8GBs for a hibernate file.

That's not counting any additional software that is installed, as the installers are stored on the system, as is the installed code.

Additionally, some programs store their settings on the system disk by default (Plex, Emby, PS3 Media Server, Serviio, for example).

These programs can also store temp files on the server, and potentially not clean up files properly.

Additionally, System Restore/Previous Version snapshots can use up space on the disk as well.

And further more, if you experience BSODs, it will store the memory dump in C:\Windows, and store minidumps in C:\Windows\Minidumps. These could add up fast, and get up to 8GBs in size (depending on the dump).

Poppapete

Had the same problem last week. My C: was up to 80%.  I used to use spacemonger to find the culprit ( thanks to skoondoggy I think) but it is no longer free. I found WinDirStat which will tell you what is filling up C:

Turned out it was my Media Server filling it up with transcoding files. I deleted them and told it to transcode on the data disks.

Went from 80% to 20%

snicko

i used windirstat and found it was plex have removed the culprit

but would feel better with a 120gb os

jmwills

Mind you the topic was a 60GB "Partition", not a larger HDD.  WHS2011 locks that volume at 60GB, right?  Put your logs on the D Drive.

Poppapete

Yes log files will slowly fill the C: unless you put them elsewhere but it is usually a third party app that is the culprit. If you are using Hyper-V on a server then make sure to save them on a data disk as the default is usually C: