RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Powerline Utility

Poppapete

I am trying to find W8 compatibly Powerline Utility Sotfware to access Netcomm 500 Poweradapter so I can change the SSID network name.  I have a wifi card in my solar inverter that will not connect to a wifi network with spaces in the name.  Very frustrating!

My bad.

After reading all the instructions, found I can login via a webpage and change anything.

It is an NP508 which has a dual band wifi. I had installed a solar panel inverter in my garage which is 2 (concrete) floors below my office. The inverter has a wifi card to send data to my LAN.  The little wifi card could not see my office.

Solution was to use a powerline adapter in my office and the second powerline adapter (with wifi) into an outlet in the garage. Now the little wifi card only has to transmit 2 feet by wifi then up 2 floors over the power cables on the LAN.

The NP508 came with a set network name with spaces. The inverter software could not see spaces so I had to change the network name to a simple word. Has taken 3 days to work all that out including 3 calls to the inverter maker (Italian) to find out the software did not like spaces on the SSID.

Wifi on an inverter?  Wow, the Italians really do always make a pig's ear of things.

My SMA inverters use Bluetooth which works pretty well on the opposite side of the house.

SMA (German) was the only other one I had on my list. I needed 3 phase and theirs was out of my budget range. The 110v are made in USA all 240v are made in Germany & the exchange rate kills us in Australia at present (since the Coal and Iron Ore prices have tanked).

From my limited experience wifi :

1. Faster

2. More Secure

3. Better range

c.f BT but I don't want to start another war here.

• 4 weeks later...

My bad.

After reading all the instructions, found I can login via a webpage and change anything.

It is an NP508 which has a dual band wifi. I had installed a solar panel inverter in my garage which is 2 (concrete) floors below my office. The inverter has a wifi card to send data to my LAN.  The little wifi card could not see my office.

Solution was to use a powerline adapter in my office and the second powerline adapter (with wifi) into an outlet in the garage. Now the little wifi card only has to transmit 2 feet by wifi then up 2 floors over the power cables on the LAN.

The NP508 came with a set network name with spaces. The inverter software could not see spaces so I had to change the network name to a simple word. Has taken 3 days to work all that out including 3 calls to the inverter maker (Italian) to find out the software did not like spaces on the SSID.

Its never a good idea to have spaces in the SSID, I had to many problems with two of my devices once and it took a long time to trouble shoot and it turned out to be the space in the SSID that caused my trouble. Keep your SSID's tight, your wireless network will thank you for it  :)

Edited by MrFixit

Its never a good idea to have spaces in the SSID, I had to many problems with two of my devices once and it took a long time to trouble shoot and it turned out to be the space in the SSID that caused my trouble. Keep your SSID's tight, your wireless network will thank you for it  :)

I agree with MrFixit. It is valid to have spaces and unusual characters in the SSID according to the WiFi specs but you'll find there are a lot of buggy WiFi implementations out there. I've seen a lot of devices that internally store the details as a key=value pair in a text file and fail badly if there is a space in the name since it only reads the first word. I've seen a similar bug where having the # symbol anywhere in the SSID or password would cause issues since the config file parser assumed the rest of the line was a comment.

You would think Netcomm would know about "spaces" and not have the supplied default SSID with a space.

You would think Netcomm would know about "spaces" and not have the supplied default SSID with a space.

Well as GotNoTime said, Its in the Spec, spaces are in the spec but it does not work in real life. Consider it lesson learned & if you have any other device on your wireless network that have spaces in the SSID's then fix it now so you don't have any other problems.

I changed the SSID on both the 2.4 & 5MhZ bands then had to reconnect all devices. 3 internet radios, 3 mobile phones (cell phones to those in USA) and my Surface Pro.