RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

G8 & HP Storage Server 2012

samuk

I know that they had SMR writing and slow RAID rebuilds (according to reviews), but I can't say that they perform slowly for 5900 rpm drives.

Thanks for the real-world feedback. The reviews mentioned the phenomenon of 0% transfer for long periods followed by bursts when doing large writes - sounded familiar to the OP.

Everyday usage is fine and they are fantastic value-for-money, run cool and work well so I certainly didn't want to appear to put anyone off them.

It's 99% likely to be the ESXi issues schoondoggy has pointed to so hopefully OP can follow the steps to reduce the issues there.

thanks guys, will check the link..

unsure if HP or VMWare would help, there are so many serttings and options..

I have made these changes or all that i could to the file server and some to the storage server ISCSI nic as i am little confused..

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2e14aa58-cb9b-462c-8a9e-7b10be2de3cb/windows-2008-r2-file-and-folder-copy-paste-very-slow-over-1000-mbs-lan.

i am writing to the VM on the ISCSI NIC - so guessing NIC settings would impact the performance..

now had a change to get the drive info..but they are the Green drives..not the 7200rpm ones..

When i copy to the storage server share - i get a stedy speed of 50MB/s, the network utalisation is a steady line till it completes..

to the VM, its up, down, up down..then stops going up at all.. 

Also to note the ISCSI disk i have created on the SSD disk - is doing the same..Note: seems to drop the network down..but the file copies..let em run some ore tests

Edited by samuk

Copy a 5.5GB ISO from a Windows 7 VM located on the Lenovo ESX Hosts local SATA Datastore

Copied to:

Windows 2008 R2 VM on the ISCSI Raid Disks – 1.3Gb Remaining (Cancelled Copy)  - Looks frozen

See Pic 1 - Network

VM Disk on the ISCSI SSD – Finished @ 104MB/s

See Pic 2 - Network

Windows 2012 R2 VM on the ISCSI Raid Disks – Copying but slow  (Cancelled Copy)  

See Pic 3 - Network

red lines indicate start and finish or cancel

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Hi,

iSCSI is very slow if you don't have proper hardware. 

Why dont you use NFS instead ? its much much faster and you can access it from your desktop/laptop.

Regards

RS

Hi,

iSCSI is very slow if you don't have proper hardware. 

Why dont you use NFS instead ? its much much faster and you can access it from your desktop/laptop.

Regards

RS

Its not slow..there is a issue..as it just stops coping to the RAID disks, but fine on a single disk ISCSI

will try to delete and recreate the RAID 5 array to test.

Not used NSF before - will trey this? can i gave this as shared storage for the 2 esx hosts?

Edited by samuk

NFS was the same..

culd ACHI mode be causing the issue?

I have removed the P410 raid controller and connected the 4 bays to the on board controller..

but is not booting from the SSD anymore connected to the extra SATA port on the motherboard..

anyone?