RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

G8 & HP Storage Server 2012

samuk

Hi,

Going crazy here..

My setup consists of

• Lenovo TS140 ESX 5.5 Servers x2
  • HP Micro Server G8 with P410 & 4 2TB Disks.

I am having issues with Network transfer speeds to the Storage Server ISCSI VMware Datastores across a 1GB Network.

If i copy 4 Large ISO files from a VM on the local ESX Datastore to the VM located on the ISCSI Datastore - it copies about 2GB @ 100MB/s, then drops to snail speed with near 0% network utilization.

Copy the same files to the D drive of the storage server and the copy is fine.

I have played around with Jumbo and still no use.

I need to get near 6TB of data on the Datastore - and this will take weeks if not months at this speed.

VM's are using the VMXnet3 network card.

Anyone got any advise or done this setup? 

Thanks

Have you updated firmware and bios on everything?

What does your network look like, switch and connections?

Have you tried a physical PC connection to test your throughput without ESXi in the equation?

Can I ask what brand/model your hard disks are?

Reason I ask is that intermittent long writes are a problem with two new drives I have just purchased - 5TB Seagate Archive disks. Correct behaviour, just irksome for long transfers to load the data on initially.

The G8 came with bios FW dated 2014, but on HP's site its version 2013 - which is odd..so i left the late one on the server.

P410 FW was updated.

I will pop the disks out later and check the,.

I have run a normal file copy test to the G8 server - this works ok..

issue is only with ISCSI & VMware datastore that i am trying to copy files too..

I have run a normal file copy test to the G8 server - this works ok..

Is this with iSCSI or just a network share?

How are the drives configured on the P410?

Just a normal share copy.

Drives are configured as raid 5. I have tried enabling the cache..but no difference.

I had also created a iscsi disk on the local C drive of the storage server (ssd) and same issue.

I will get a PC running on the network and try from there later this evening.

Can I ask what brand/model your hard disks are?

Reason I ask is that intermittent long writes are a problem with two new drives I have just purchased - 5TB Seagate Archive disks. Correct behaviour, just irksome for long transfers to load the data on initially.

I can't confirm long writes with Seagate Archives 8TB.  I have 2x8TB Seagate archives with RAID1 and RAID0 datastores under ESXi 6. Sustaining writing speeds is ok for RAID1 (if used old hpsva drivers) - 35-55MB/s for 3-6 MB files and >100MB/s for continuous writing (>2-4GB files). ~270 GB writing was done over SAMBA network. RAID0 part didn't test yet.  

I know that they had SMR writing and slow RAID rebuilds (according to reviews), but I can't say that they perform slowly for 5900 rpm drives.

Smr writing is ok. Smr rewriting is supposed to be the slow bit.

As to the original question, this is an iscsi store on Windows storage server on the HP? Does the raid card have a working bbu?

Smr writing is ok. Smr rewriting is supposed to be the slow bit.

As to the original question, this is an iscsi store on Windows storage server on the HP? Does the raid card have a working bbu?

Rewriting is also acceptable: from 80 MB/s to >100MB/s (fully saturated 1 GB link). I answered particulary about Seagate Archive SMR drives itself. I haven't Windows storage server and iSCSI. I tested on ESXi6 Ubuntu 14.04 Samba network share. Sofware raid on B120i (no cache&bbu).