RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Silicondust DVR

axoid

It looks neat, but why the kickstarter?  Isn't the point of kickstarter to get funding for startups that are not established and give them a chance?

This looks like a company basically saying "We're not going to take a chance on this product unless you all buy it first", which, I guess is better than just saying "We're not going to take a chance on this product period", but without a guarantee the product will be completed, no dice.  Especially after the HDHomerun Prime, which while good, was delayed with no communication for over a year.

I got the notice. I am tempted to participate, and they could be my last resort once windows 8.1 goes out of support, but in the mean time there is no guarantee they can do the drm that would allow me to view the encrypted stuff at my pc. I also dislike the concept of renting software that is running on my own hardware.

Pebble was also an established company that ran a kickstarter to introduce their latest smart watch. I can see the advantage in doing it this way. It gets them publicity and a true feel for the market's interest in the product before expending the capital and resources to create it.

I joined at level 3 to try it out. I think the subscription model isn't so bad as long as it is at a lower cost than a what a version-model product would costs and that there are ongoing updates to the product though the year. And there are things like the channel guide that are a subscription cost too, Microsoft was big enough to ether force the cost down or just absorb it.

because MS doesn't believe in letting a pc be an 'extender', I have three wmc instances, two win7 and one win8.1.

I really want to know where MS is going with WMC and windows 10!

• Like 1

because MS doesn't believe in letting a pc be an 'extender', I have three wmc instances, two win7 and one win8.1.

I really want to know where MS is going with WMC and windows 10!

I doubt that WMC will make the list for RTM. :(

As for "where"... Microsoft want's it gone. They want you to use subscription based services, such as Hulu, Netflix, XBOX Videos, etc.

They don't want to support CableCards, and other content they can't generate a revenue for .....

still waiting for the shoe to drop. once they make something official my interest in silicon dust's solution might increase.

I doubt that WMC will make the list for RTM. :(

As for "where"... Microsoft want's it gone. They want you to use subscription based services, such as Hulu, Netflix, XBOX Videos, etc.

They don't want to support CableCards, and other content they can't generate a revenue for .....

I agree.  Cablecard support has no revenue potential, and even if there was, the more profit an outside 3rd party (msft) could make, the more cablelabs and comcast/TWC would try to slow it down.  Not sustainable.

Netflix/hulu/online streaming is rapidly replacing for the 20% of people at the front of the tech curve, and eventually where the future will be.

As with all things microsoft, their solution will be 5-10 years ahead of the market and focus on only online streaming content through an unpopular platform. 3 years after release support will drop for the product, souring many to the microsoft experience.  2 years later, Apple will announce something similar, people will love it, and streaming services will finally replace cable when my in-laws choose the new apple subscription instead of cable TV.  Then people will chastize microsoft for being behind the curve.

• Like 1