RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible upgrade to Gen8

adobo

Hi All,

Looking to possibly upgrade my 2x n40l Microservers to Gen8s.

Couple of newbie questions.

Does the Gen 8 take the same RAM as in the N40L? (both have Kingston 16GB sticks with a modified bios and also allows hotswap)

Is the a major performance increase over the AMD CPU if i was to go with the Celeron or E3?

will be running VMs for for my test lab (ESXi, XEN and HyperV running from different USB/HDDs) and also home storage.

Dont think the RAM will work, was the N series not DDR2, its been a while..

There is a performance chart that will show you how the N series and the gen8's compare.

It depends on what memory you have in the N40l's.

Both systems used DDR3 ECC memory.

Post the part numbers for the memory.

It depends on what memory you have in the N40l's.

Both systems used DDR3 ECC memory.

Post the part numbers for the memory.

I'm connected to it remotely from a different site. Is there any way to determine what exact model it is? Using Server 2012r2 Standard

I'm connected to it remotely from a different site. Is there any way to determine what exact model it is? Using Server 2012r2 Standard

You can try the SPD tab in http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html. You're relying on the manufacturer actually writing the correct information into the SPD EEPROM on the DIMMs and they're not always very accurate about it.

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The link below shows the passmark index rating vs the various N series.   Simply put expect about twice the performaces with just the celeron processor about 8 times faster with the e3-1265Lv2

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/#entry62204

..guessing the bios would need tweaking to support the e3-1265 v2 (and possible an upgrade of cpu cooling)?...an upgrade is intended long-term will need more info on pros & cons of each e3

my mistake...looks like Patriot 1333EL Series RAM (PC3-10700) - 2x 8GB

can anyone confirm if this will work in the gen8? its dual channel apprently

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by adobo

E3-1265L v2 is a direct drop in no bios tweaking needed. It is a 45 watt tdp proc 10 degrees above the celeron. Have run for over a year with no ill effect and no additional processor cooling. I have put additional fans in to cool my p222 controller card which runs warm.

• Like 1