RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Not sure if we should make the jump from 2011 to 2012 R2 at $400 for a small business

hoorah

Awhile back, I posted this topic about upgrading our small business setup.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8122-moving-our-small-office-from-whs2011-to-2012-have-some-cloud-integration-questions/#entry88486

We ended up getting up and running with Office365, onedrive for business, and sharepoint.  For the most part, we got the users setup with exchange and got their emails ported over and they haven't touched the sharepoint part of it, at least not that I can see.  So much for that, but whatever, the email was the important part.

We tried migrating some of the data over to onedrive for business, but basically everyones desktop client just constantly spammed "cant sync XXXXX file" over and over again.  There were lots of complaints about it at the time and it was a known issue, so for now they just dropped the onedrive use.

Anyway, that brings us to today.

They're moving the office and will need to set up at a new place.  They're due for an upgrade so if I have to reconfigure things when they move now is a good time to upgrade hardware.

I'll make a separate post for the hardware build but for now just want to talk software.  I wanted to go with 2012 R2 as that would allow them to

1 - get working continual client machine backups for windows 8.1 computers

2 - give them the ability to run a domain in the future, although right now I don't see the need

3 - give them integration with office365 user accounts

4 - Give them an easy to setup VPN access point

I figured this was worth around the $250 price point I thought server 2012 essentials was going for, but now I'm seeing on Newegg its more like $400.

The VPN would be nice but could also be handled with a newer router, which we will likely be purchasing anyway when we move the office.  It can also be done with 2011 but not as easy to set up.

So it just comes down to 8.1 backups and having a domain.  $400 seems a bit steep for this, especially since we really don't need the domain today with only 4 users, but setting it up now can save having to redo it all again down the road.

Really wishing there was an in-between option.

You need to be careful: Windows Server 2012R2 and Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials are different products, with very different licencing.

Also, you can get Win8.1 Client Backups using WHS2011. I have it running and it works fine. You just have to install the HotFix for GPT/UEFI support.

You need to be careful: Windows Server 2012R2 and Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials are different products, with very different licencing.

Also, you can get Win8.1 Client Backups using WHS2011. I have it running and it works fine. You just have to install the HotFix for GPT/UEFI support.

I meant essentials.

Anyway, I did install the hotfix, but I still get errors on a handful of systems.  I've exhausted my patience for it.

Aee all the Windows 8.1 clients the same version? And to do BMR's from Essentials, the NICs will need to be PXE capable.

Not sure what you mean by the client versions.  are you talking about client connector versions?  I wasn't there for most of the client setups, just sent the users the instructions to connect by getting the client connector from the local website.

The versions of Windows 8.1, the SKU's  .  I think you would be wise to keep both systems up and running and migrate on the fly instead of going cold turkey from System A to System B.  I believe you will get better buy in and will be able to trouble shoot any issues better.