RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Servers Locks up and cannot see why?

The Sleeper

Defo neither I have the raid software and another piece of software monitoring the HDD..

I'll do a RAM test but I'm almost certain it is not that. I left the Server on for over a week but did not touch it, was fine until I watched a film..

if it was a memory leak surely it would have been crashing regularly rather then when I'm watching a move from the PC.

I can create the problem very easily by watching a film.

If I do anything else it seems to be ok, for example I converted and burnt a dvd about 1.5GB in total across the network and not a problem everything is still functional. But if I watch a film from the pc on the LAN I can guarantee it will hang the server (I have checked the logs on the PC as well and nothing I can see would be causing the issue).

I have an old PC which I'm going to connect that up tonight and see if that causes an issue

As jmwills suggested, I would run a RAM test. My choice would be to do a 24 hour memtest86. I might also look into trying a different NIC, as a test if nothing else.

How is XBMC accessing the files?

Network shares, nfs, DLNA, etc?

This makes a difference and may be influencing it.

Also, can you log in directly to the server once this happens?

How is XBMC accessing the files?

Network shares, nfs, DLNA, etc?

This makes a difference and may be influencing it.

Also, can you log in directly to the server once this happens?

Network shares and no I cannot log in at all, I cannot communicate at all with it, nothing pings so no RDP and cannot get onto it with mouse and keyboard plugged in I have no choice but to button the server

As jmwills suggested, I would run a RAM test. My choice would be to do a 24 hour memtest86. I might also look into trying a different NIC, as a test if nothing else.

Thanks, I did not get a chance to run the memtest last night going to try tonight I'm also going to have a look around my office see if I have a spare NIC to test with..

Given everything I've read I'm putting my money on the NIC at the moment, but I guess only time and tests will tell

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions so far

UPDATE!

So I was at my local computer store last night, bought a new NIC for £7 (just as a test). Everything now seems to be working, I successfully got over an hour out of a movie playing (best before was about 20 minutes). So looks like it was the onboard NIC causing the issues (which was my primary thoughts anyway) annoying how even after updating everything it still did not get fixed.

Now going to look into a better nic but will give it a few weeks first.

Thanks to all for their contributions.