RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Servers Locks up and cannot see why?

The Sleeper

Evening All,

First time on the forum and hoping someone can help as I'm literally out of ideas as to whats causing the issues here.

I have a HP N54L MicroServer. It has a HP P212 running a Raid 1 on 2x2 TB Sata HDD. and running Server 2012 R2

IT worked fine for about 6-8 weeks now it just locks up here is what I've done/found.

Nothing and I mean literally nothing in the event logs, absolutly clean (note it does not BSOD either), nothing on the HP Raid monitor  ( I have seperate software for HDD monitoring as well that reports nothing).

I've updated firmware on MB and Raid Controller and the NIC, all windows updates installed.

Now for the a bit of history.

If i leave the server doing nothing it will be fine, I can move data to and from the server no problems. If my kids watch a movie via plex form their rooms (plex installed on the server) this is usually fine however for the first time last night it locked while they were watching a film but thats only happened once via Plex so could have been a one off yet to confirm..

I have a PC connected to the TV with XBMC on it, every single time I watch a film on the PC the server locks up, tried just using the media player rather than XBMC and the same thing.

doesnt matter what happens though I cannot see why..

I hope you get the above and any help would be great.. Thanks in advance.

ok just an update, I've run a crash  dump tool googled the outcome and just points to a driver issue..

given since I posted this I've found a more recent NIC driver and tested again and still happening.

Anyone have a full list of current drivers anywhere?

First thing I would do is to make sure that the BIOS and firmware are at the latest rev for the server and the RAID card. Then I would make sure all of the latest drivers are installed. Then I would stress test it.

First thing I would do is to make sure that the BIOS and firmware are at the latest rev for the server and the RAID card. Then I would make sure all of the latest drivers are installed. Then I would stress test it.

Thanks, trying to get a list of drivers for the server.

But do you have a recommendation on the stresst test tool, something I've not done/used before.

I assume you are running an APC power conditioner and not having power problems? Did you add any power hungry device to the circuit feeding the server.  Everybody else has covered updating BIOS on all fronts.

Thanks, I'll have a look into the AMD ones, I just did not know who made the board and/or mobel

Hi,

UPS died ages ago and have not replaced it, it is not running through it either.

The only way I can re-create the issue is to watch a film and I'll get 10-30 mins before the server locks and the pc loses connection...