• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ServerRookie

• Drashna Jaelre

• schoondoggy

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is a list of vendors who sell hardware with installed software. Not cheap and obviously for it to work correctly the definitions must be updated probably daily often with a yearly fee.  Sophos is

IMHO, I generally look at the free products for home use. Sophos does have a free business version as well. https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-essential-firewall.aspx If you

yodafett

No Cloud storage

Single Domain Admin account with secured password that changes quarterly

2048 encrypted tunnels between 2 remote sites for data duplication.  Data duplication is kept on separate networks per site so leak on one does not cross over.

Local PC and Desktops all on AD with domain user accounts that have no admin rights and separate per PC  (its a pain but rather reset their passwords than reimage PC)

GPO requiring Thumb Drives to be scanned for malware on plugin prior to running autorun.inf

Separate Network\Wifi for Work PCs/Kids Tablet/Game Systems that way anything from work is not brought in the house and vice versa though I do allow 1 ip/port through so Printing can be done in the house.

jmwills

Care to share thst GPO? (Yea I'm too lazy to look it up) We disabled that .inf file in Iraq. No USB storage.

Drashna Jaelre

Care to share thst GPO? (Yea I'm too lazy to look it up) We disabled that .inf file in Iraq. No USB storage.

You mean than other disabling autorun altogether? :)
  • 4 weeks later...
ServerRookie

> Fortinet is one of my favorite SMB UTM

Care to elaborate, schoondoggy or anyone else?

Edit: Fortinet is not free to evaluate, as I would have to buy a box from them (Sophos or Untangle is free or partially free)

Edited by ServerRookie
schoondoggy

IMHO, I generally look at the free products for home use. Sophos does have a free business version as well.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-essential-firewall.aspx

If you like the Sophos free firewall, you can easily move to one of their appliances:

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/unified-threat-management/tech-specs.aspx#start

When a SMB is looking for a firewall I find the Fortinet products to be fast and a good feature set for the money.

http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortigate/index.html#entry

Currently I have a ZyXEL 20 UTM, but I am in the process of moving back to Sophos.

Just a note, you need to use the quote button, if you want a certain individual to reply. 

• Like 1
ServerRookie

Thanks, I tried both Sophos UTM Home Edition and Sophos UTM Essential Firewall. They have the identical feature set, but the latter has only the 'Base Functionality' permanently enabled with the other 'Subscriptions' on a 30 day free trial. The former has all 'Subscriptions' permanently enabled, but sometimes flashes a 'Home Edition not for Business' page.

Is it just me or did anyone else get the flash page, too?

I am vacillating between Sophos and Untangle, too :)

The quote button does not work for me :( I notice that others say that too.

Drashna Jaelre

Thanks, I tried both Sophos UTM Home Edition and Sophos UTM Essential Firewall. They have the identical feature set, but the latter has only the 'Base Functionality' permanently enabled with the other 'Subscriptions' on a 30 day free trial. The former has all 'Subscriptions' permanently enabled, but sometimes flashes a 'Home Edition not for Business' page.

Is it just me or did anyone else get the flash page, too?

I am vacillating between Sophos and Untangle, too :)

The quote button does not work for me :( I notice that others say that too.

Yup, get the "for home use not for business" display at various places. That's normal and expected. 

As for the quote button, what browser are you using?

Drashna Jaelre

I use IE 11 (running on W8.1)

Thought so. For whatever reason, IPBoard has issues with IE....