RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ServerRookie

It has been said that security is commensurate with effort. Encrypting the server/network (with BitLocker) was such an effort. What do you all do to go the extra mile on security?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ServerRookie

• Drashna Jaelre

• schoondoggy

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is a list of vendors who sell hardware with installed software. Not cheap and obviously for it to work correctly the definitions must be updated probably daily often with a yearly fee.  Sophos is

IMHO, I generally look at the free products for home use. Sophos does have a free business version as well. https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-essential-firewall.aspx If you

ServerRookie

I had in mind the metaphor of content protection (like encryption) on the one hand, and perimeter defense (like Firewall) on the other hand. We already had a useful BitLocker thread on the former issue. I'd like to address the latter issue in this thread.

What perimeter defenses does WS2012R2E offer ?

Anyone has a list of something like 'network access protection' tools?

How do we best deploy those tools ? etc. etc.

schoondoggy

When I think of perimeter defense I think more about physical firewalls. Do you want to talk about those or focus the discussion on Windows Server?

jmwills

It's not really the server doing the role of security, that's the job of your edge (perimeter) devices..

ServerRookie

Poking around I discovered Server Manager > Tools > Security Configuration Wizard :o <= shock and awe, never thought that there is sooo much involved. Of course I did not change anything to the default settings, and plan to leave it for a later date when I will be (much) more familiar with the server/client devices/network.

I'm with jmwills, perimeter security is the job of, well, perimeter devices: routers, UTMs, firewalls. honeypots, etc. I feel Windows servers have enough to do as it is; I don't want them to be responsible for protecting my network as well. Windows servers do have security features built in of course; I'm content to leave them in their default configuration.

if you are using the server to provide remote web access or vpn services, security becomes its duty, so better to let the UTM do things like that too