RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

danielsan123

Hi!

I had a powerfailure this night when neighborhood lost power. I would like having a UPS for the microserver and the HP pS1810-G8 switch. Is there anyone having any recommendations? No need för powersupply. Main intend is being able to make a soft shutdown.

Best regards Daniel

I have a cheap Cyberpower ValueUPS 600.  It works perfectly, it's quiet, and it doesn't waste a lot of power.  It was very cheap, too.

I also have an old APC SmartUPS 750.  It works OK too, but it uses 20-30W doing nothing, it humms and buzzes, it runs warm.  I had to replace two leaking capacitors on the board in it too, and it's on it's second set of batteries.  I wouldn't recommend it.

I especially like when a sale includes 'free shipping'. these puppies tend to be heavy.

I have been through many of these over the years. To me, the 'full sine wave' UPS is overkill for most 'home' gear. The  box labeling of how long it can keep your pc going also needs to be treated as advertising - look at the chart they provide to see what your real time will be based on your actual load. (kill-a-watt is a handy tool to have in this regard)

I size mine based on the load of the equipment and the need to last over a short interruption and then shut down, short to me being about 5 minutes. Most events last a few seconds, and beyond a minute the grid is not going to heal itself :(

For my critical equipment (not related to servers at all) I got a generator. Shortly after purchasing it, I was very happy to have it during an 8-hour outage. It has been over a year since then with no need to use it so its murphy factor is working very well :)

fwiw

Edited by nrf

Take the time to test any UPS after you get one.

Make sure the software works correctly.

If you buy a UPS that is not true sin wave, testing will tell you if it will work with the power supply in you device.

If you buy a UPS that is not true sin wave, testing will tell you if it will work with the power supply in you device.

Another easy way to check, see if your PSU is Active PFC rated. If it is, you need a "true sinewave" UPS. One that's supports the PFC stuff, not the automatic voltage regulation.

I buy nothing but true sine wave UPS units these days. One, perhaps non-obvious, advantage is that it's possible to actually plug true sine wave UPS units together, daisy-chain fashion, to get longer up time. This generally cannot be done with simulated sine wave units. Because they're priced so low, I've been buying CyberPower PFC Sinewave units for that past year or so.

Does anyone else here have a manual transfer switch installed in their home and use a portable generator to power their server connected to a sine wave UPS? Am in process of installing a transfer switch and have a Westinghouse WH7500E 7500 watt generator. It has a THD of 9%. Seems many have reported you can run computer equipment provided you are using a UPS behind the generator. I too have Cyberpower sine wave UPSs connected to my WSE12R2 and HTPC boxes.

http://www.generatorgrader.com/westinghouse-wh7500e-review/

I would think you should be fine as long as you have the computer plugged into the CyberPower. The real way to tell would be to switch over to the generator and see if the UPS complains about the power it's receiving, such as it switching immediately over to batter.