RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

kvm on gen8

Riz

Hi

Has anyone installed kvm on on debian/centos on gen8

I don't want to install Vmvare or MS hyper-v

I want to install kvm , and then run run different vms with xpenology, mail-server-vm, pfsense-vm/another-software-firewall 

is there any articles that you can point?

Thanks

Riz

I'm used a E3-1265L v2 processor with 16gb RAM; I don't know what performance would be with the stock CPU...

As an amateur hobbyist, I've played with KVM and the stock 1610T processor (and 4 GB of RAM). I only ran one guest (Sophos UTM firewall) and found performance good. The stock processor does lack one of two virtualisation instructions and PCI pass-through is not supported. This might be a (performance) problem if you have installed a PCI card.

I'm running Proxmox with KVM virtual machines on the MicroServer Gen8 (just the Celeron G1610T -- 10 GB RAM).  So far I've just got pfSense plus a Server 2012 R2 VM running -- one core for each.  Seems fine so far, but I'm not really putting it under load.  I'd imagine if I start adding more VMs and actually putting them under load, it will start to suffer a bit.. I did notice that my Server 2012 R2 instance seems to spike to 100% CPU when doing some things such as Windows Update (TiWorker.exe processes).  I'm not sure if this is the result of virtualising, or just Server 2012 itself.  I tried changing the VM to pass through the host CPU, but this didn't seem to make any difference.

I'll have to test it a bit more with normal usage scenarios (whatever that may be -- I'm just experimenting for now) to see how it runs.  I'm running VirtIO for NIC and Disk.

My only issue so far is that I'm unable to pass through VLAN trunks to my pfSense VM using OpenVSwitch.  My understanding is that if you don't set a VLAN ID against a NIC, it passes through all trunked VLANs by default.  However, when I create virtual interfaces for each VLAN within pfSense, I'm unable to ping or otherwise access them.  I should probably try playing around with some tools like tcpdump to see if I can diagnose the problem a bit better.  For now, I've just created separate VirtIO interfaces for each VLAN.

Oh, also make sure you disable hardware checksum offloading in pfSense: https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/VirtIO_Driver_Support#Disable_Hardware_Checksum_Offloading

I was experiencing painfully slow speeds over the LAN (I'm using pfSense as an internal firewall to play around with pen testing, IDS/IPS, etc) for several weeks pulling my hair out not knowing the reason.  As soon as I disabled that, performance was great.