RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
HellDiverUK

Just ordered a TVS-663-4G

HellDiverUK

Well, I just took a total huff with all the various bits of servers and PCs lying about the house.  I'm about to put the lot on eBay and go back to a decent NAS unit.

I do have an Asustor, but it's only 4 bay which is pretty constricting.  The 6-bay version is impossible to get in the UK.

So, I just ordered one of QNAP's AMD-powered TVS-663-4G units. https://www.qnap.com/i/uk/product/model.php?II=173

Should have it on Saturday - I'll update with my thoughts.  I'm excited to be able to virtualise my little home automation/power monitoring PC on the NAS, though I guess I'll have to bump up the RAM in the QNAP to be able to do that.

jsox

I bought a TS-453 pro with 2G not too long ago and it did everything I tried without even pushing 1G of RAM consumption. No virtual machines though, for that you definitely need more RAM. I bought my RAM at the local Microcenter and upgraded to 8G for about 60% of what it would have cost me buying that RAM from QNAP directly. Crucial memory, too, not some off brand. Anyway, now I can run VMs...

HellDiverUK

Well, got the machine up and running this evening, just with two SSD (Kingston KC300).  

I bought two KC300 240GB SSDs, both from Amazon.  One has a newer firmware compared to the other, and both are newer than the latest firmware on Kingston's site.  One was reporting SMART errors in the QNAP, the one with the newer firmware.  I pulled the "unhealthy" drive and stuck it in my PC and ran the Kingston Tools program.  Stuck it back in the QNAP and everything was fine.

I've just installed some apps on the TVS-663 and so far it seems very fast.  Everything so far has installed very quickly.  It runs very quietly, despite having two 92mm fans and a 40mm PSU fan.  The gold colour on the casing is nice, very unusual.  They've even painted the back.  

I'll need to stick in some HDDs in the morning and get some data moved over.

• Like 1

HellDiverUK

Gave up on the Kingston KC300 drives.  The QNAP doesn't like them at all.  It's fine with Intel Pro 1500 and Kingston V+200, but there's something odd with the firmware on the KC300.

Decided just to go with a pair of 1TB WD RE drives in RAID1 for Volume1.  I might swap in SSDs later, assuming 1TB SSD are going to become as cheap as is rumoured in the next few months.

ikon

How cheap are we talking?

HellDiverUK

3D NAND is supposed to make SSDs cheaper than spinners.  Two or three chips to make a 1TB SSD, compared to all the complexity of a spinner. 

Anyway, back to the QNAP.  Unimpressed.

So, first off the issues with the SSDs.  I could live with that.  Now it seems QNAP has a hard-coded 32MB RAMDisk (why the hell?  I've got 12GB, and they've a 32MB RAMDisk?!?).  If I put on the few apps I want to run, the RAMDisk fills up and the whole OS falls down in a steaming pile of shit.  I could log in this morning long enough to see the errors, now I can't log in to it at all.

Sorry, I so wanted to like this machine.  Hardware is fantastic.  Software - well, compared to Synology and Asustor, QNAP's OS is just nowhere near good enough.

I'm pretty sure the TVS-663 is going back.  I don't have the time or inclination to mess about babysitting a NAS device.

ikon

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some members running other OS' on QNAPs?

HellDiverUK

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can run Debian and the likes on the QNAP.

Of course, I only realised that after I returned the 663.  It'd have been fun to have a go at that.