RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Win 7/8.1 install - Cannot install to this drive

strangelad

Right, so I'm performing my 3rd build on this box, the first 2 were Windows 7, the first worked really well (boot from port 5 SSD) but I reconfigured it, re-installed and Windows 7 at that point decided that it wouldn't allow me to boot from port 5, so I slippped it into AHCI mode and ran the bodge to boot from the micro usb, which was an absolute pain in the backside, every time you want to install windows updates you need to remove any other drives otherwise the updates fail. So I decided to install Windows 8.1 and now I get a whole load of "cannot install windows to this drive" errors on both Windows 7 and 8.

So, config wise I've tried:

1) SSD port 5 RAID 0 (array set as boot drive)

2) SSD port 1 RAID 0 (array set as boot drive)

3) SSD port 5 AHCI

4) SSD port 1 AHCI

Every single one of the above configs is fine right up until the "load drivers" point, the drivers load no problem but as soon I try to install Windows I get "Cannot install to this drive". I've got no usb's attached, I've tried installing from the front usb and the internal, no diffference, I've deleted the configs and factory reset and still nothing. From what I can tell the gen8 itself seems to be blocking Windows by saying that the drive isn't a boot drive which is utterly ridiculous, has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,

Bob.

Have you tried connecting the SSD to another computer and doing a DISKPART /CLEAN on it? The idea would be to wipe out any config info on the SSD, so Windows sees it as a new, empty drive.

Yep, I've tried cleaning it, using different drives, dropping it down into AHCI legacy mode, I've exhausted everything I can think of, either I've got a dud box or the gen8 really isn't designed to run anything other than the Intelligent Provisioning software that HP deem worthy. Its a shame as the gen 7's were really nice boxes.

For AHCI I'm not using any, for Windows 7 I'm using cp024078 (2k8R2 server) and for Windows 8.1 cp024079 (2012r2 server).

This is installing Windows 7 (SSD and 2TB Hitachi Black). The SSD was in bay 1, the Hitachi in bay 3, so it's not bay specific.

IMG_20150416_225936.jpg

IMG_20150416_221633.jpg

Edited by strangelad

Your 1st install of Win 7 OS u said went very well then u reconfigured -- what was your reconfiguration? Did u make changes in BIOS in addition to enable/disabling the B120i?

The initial configuration was using the B120i, the second one was using the AHCI legacy (and the sd card bodge), those were the only changes in the BIOS. When I rebuilt this time I initially changed the AHCI back to using the B120i which obviously didn't work, then I tried a factory reset in the bios which has made no difference.

I put the ssd in bay one just left it dangling as it was a nice tight fit but may get a caddie converter off eBay at some point then no sd card needed and worked perfectly can always put a drive inside the case on port 5

• Like 1

I put the ssd in bay one just left it dangling as it was a nice tight fit but may get a caddie converter off eBay at some point then no sd card needed and worked perfectly can always put a drive inside the case on port 5

to use the front 4 bays for an ssd only remove the back strut from the caddy, the front strut is positioned to hold the front of the ssd in place so you don't need t buy one from ebay unless you're concerned about sideways movement which again would be limited by the strut.

Anyway, thanks all for the help and advice, it occurred to me that the one thing I hadn't tried was using a different make of usb so I dug up a really old 8GB usb that I found on a shelf and tried it, et voila, installed both flavours of Windows with no problems at all.

Edited by Joe_Miner
misc by moderator