RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New BackBlaze article about Seagate ST3000DM001

ikon

I know I seem to be giving Seagate some flack about this, but I must admit I'm not a huge fan of their drives.  I do have a pair of ST4000DM000, and a clutter of older Seagate units, and I haven't had many issues.  I just also got a Synology at work with 4x4TB Seagate NAS drives in it.  It'll be interesting to see how it fairs.  It's replacing a NL40 running FreeNAS that has 2x2TB WD RE4 and 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda CS. 

I haven't had many drive failures of any kind from any vendor over the last 4-5 years.

This is also about the time I got picky about drive types. WD drives in RAID I use Red's. My main server with a HP410 RAID5 runs Seagate Constellations. I have some WD RE and VR, I have a ST3000DM001 in a desktop for three years with no issues and I just plugged in a ST2000DM001 in a desktop. Lots of SSD's as well. 

in the case of the Highpoints they're just a bog-standard Marvell chip.  I use a RocketRAID 2680SGL as a HBA in a machine at work and it's been perfectly fine.  Again, I'm running mdraid on the drives.  

Though, I think the StoragePod 2.0 used the Highpoint hooked up to 5-way backplanes that have a SiL port multiplier on board, if memory serves right.  If you go back through their blog they discuss the exact hardware used in each version of the pod.

No, Highpoint uses a heavily customized firmware on the marvell chips. As in proprietary commands and such (especially when dealing with SMART data).

Trust me on this..... If you don't, try uninstalling the management software and try to get SMART data.... Chances are, you won't be able to, depending on the app you're using.

As for Sil..... I hope that's not Silicon Images. If it is ... they're 10x worst than HighPoint. Or at least their consumer grade cards are. If you have to install a file system filter as part of the driver package, you're compensating for the incredibly unstable nature of your controllers.....

This is an excerpt about Storage Pod 2.0 from the BB blog:

Port Muliplier Backplanes                                                                                          QTY          $ each           total
Chyang Fun Industry (CFI Group) CFI-B53PM 5 Port Backplane (SiI3726)                   9             $42.00           $378

I don't know how good the Sil3726 is.

Interesting, this whole discussion about Seagate sounds very familiar.... 

Doesn't it though. The original "What's the Best Hard Drive" blog post dealt with all of the drives BB used over a given timeframe. This one focuses more on the ST3000DM001, which is the model they had the most trouble with.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excerpt about Storage Pod 2.0 from the BB blog:

Port Muliplier Backplanes                                                                                          QTY          $ each           total

Chyang Fun Industry (CFI Group) CFI-B53PM 5 Port Backplane (SiI3726)                   9             $42.00           $378

I don't know how good the Sil3726 is.

I don't know about that chipset specifically, but I can tell you about their other products.

"Crap" isn't the word. It would be too nice of a word.

Interesting, this whole discussion about Seagate sounds very familiar.... 

Yup. Second post by BackBlaze.

Second post to bring up arguments.  

Such as the fact that backblaze fails to list where the drives are sourced, what cases they were in, what temps the drives were run at, the sound levels, etc. 

Basically "blindly trust that we know what were doing"...... after they sourced costco 3TB externals for a while.............. (which do use the ST3000DM001 drives)

• 2 months later...

I don't have large statistics on drive failure, just an anecdotal story. I am usually a WD guy when it comes to hard drives and I have 11 of them running in my server. I have running a server for the past 10 years and find these drives to last anywhere between 3 and 5 years (most of them are greens). I still have 1 TB EADS drive purchased in 2009 which is still alive and ticking (but not clicking :-) ).

Thanksgiving 2013 I got weak and could not resist a $80 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 drive. But experience with that unit has been less than stellar. While there are no bad sectors, the SMART reported error rate are much much higher than those of the WD drives. Also stablebit scanner has notified me a few days ago that in the past 1.5 years, the drive has racked up over 300,000 load cycles, which is the warranty limit for this drive. I searched the net but could not find a utility such as wdidle3 to turn of the head parking. i am not sure what to expect from this drive, but I am probably staying away from these in the future. Whether this is a fluke or not, I seem to have better luck with WD drives. 

Just my two cents, the statistics of 1.