RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New BackBlaze article about Seagate ST3000DM001

ikon

Yes, thanks HellDiverUK.

Schoondoggy, I guess that discussion answers at least part of your question about working with Seagate. What I got is that BB is working with Seagate, but they're under some sort of NDA, so they can't talk about it.

Other than that, I didn't really read anything we haven't already discussed. It was nice to see that BB is part of the discussion.

Yes, thanks HellDiverUK.

Schoondoggy, I guess that discussion answers at least part of your question about working with Seagate. What I got is that BB is working with Seagate, but they're under some sort of NDA, so they can't talk about it.

Other than that, I didn't really read anything we haven't already discussed. It was nice to see that BB is part of the discussion.

Not really.

Actually, this morning a thought popped into my head from back when I was in the drive business.

It appears a lot of their drives were purchased through retail channels. These are consumer drives. Using them in commercial applications voids the warranty. Removing externals from their cases also voids the warranty:

http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/limited-consumer-warranty/

The shucked drives were bought through retail channels. Quite possibly, many of the internal drives bought in that time period were also bought retail. It was an extraordinary time. However, BB has stated that they normally put drive purchases out for tender. I presume that means they were bought from distributors.

I'm curious though; why don't you think that that discussion partly answers your question about working with Seagate?

Even if they bought them through a distributor the ST3000DM001 is a desktop drive. Seagate could be telling them the warranty is void because they did not use them in a desktop application.

When I say working with Seagate I would expect they would be able to discuss the activity they are doing with Seagate. Failure analysis, handling inspections, integration reviews, incoming inspection, test, it has been a long time since I was in the drive business, but those are the things a drive vendor does in cases like this. 

To me it sounds like they are talking with Seagate, not working with Seagate.

Interesting. I was thinking that their inability to discuss it was something Seagate demanded, but I guess it could be that BB is the party that is reluctant to talk.

Agreed. My feeling that it was Seagate is probably the same as yours: i.e. BB has less reason to not want to talk about it, especially since they've pretty much said as much.

If you look at the data sheet/market blurb for the ST3000DM001 it was originally marketed as "The Power of One", and was listed as suitable for use in servers. 

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/barracuda-ds1737-1-1111us.pdf

To quote:

Best-Fit Applications

• Desktop or all-in-one PCs

• Home servers

• PC-based gaming systems

• Desktop RAID

Direct-attached external storage devices (DAS)

• Network-attached storage devices (NAS)

Emphesis mine. Seagate marketed these drives as suitable for a use which they were clearly unsuitable.