RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SATA Question

senji323

Thanks you for SATA. Love them. For the clean small cabling as well.

I have a related question.

PCDoc and ZeroHunter you have experiance with SATA controller cards....?

Zero hunter suggestes that it is possible to run onboard SATAs and SATAs from a controller on the same rig. Are there does and don't, Pros and Cons, limitations? Does the WHS storage pool handle this alrigh?

What is there to look out for on purchasing a SATA control. ( they run from $35.00 to $235.00 :huh: )

p.s. Unless I missed it SATA controllers could be a good topic for a BYOB segment.

tbowland

Let me see what I can add, to this, but I don't think its going to be a lot; I have tried several controllers with mixed results, first thing I have noticed, its VERY hard to find a multiport unit that is NOT RAID, I recently got a PCI-e Unit from NewEgg.com SYBA SY-PEX40008 PCI Express SATA II Controller Card It was not very expensive at $60.oo and its PCI-e. The problems with it is that its RAID, but I was able to fix that with a bios/firmware flash from Silicon Image website, as SYBA's website must of been created by a retarded monkey, who was drunk that day!

The other problem, and this is just me; is that it does not pass the temperature information from the drives internal sensors, this is something I really like to have access to.

Other then that, on NewEgg it got some bad reviews, but I think that was mostly from people trying to use it as a RAID, and I do know from personal experience that if you want RAID, you are going to have to buy a card with an on-board processor, other wise they are slow when you really start to move some data across the RAID.

Me personally I don't want the RAID function, as I am just adding drives to the pool, so that function is a waste of money and overhead.

Other controllers I have used:

SYBA SD-LP-PEX2IR PCI Express Low Profile SATA II Controller Card $22.oo

-Cheap easy to use PCI-e Controller 2 ports, down side; does have RAID, and it comes with ONLY the low-profile bracket, and another stupid thing, its a low-profile card with the connectors on top! Its retarded, you have to use Right-Angle cables to use it in a low-profile setup! I don't know yet if this one does pass the temperature data, still waiting on my Right-angle cables to show up.

Koutech IO-PESA230 PCI Express Low Profile Ready SATA 6.0Gb/s Controller Card $35.00

Worked good, included both low-profile and regular brackets, did pass temperature data, 6.oGps Card. Connectors are on top if you are going to use it as low-profile (I did not), its NOT RAID, which to me was a big Plus.

SYBA SD-SATA2-4IR PCI SATA II Controller Card $44.00

I used two of these in a build for a friend, work good, setup easy. They are RAID, but that is what he wanted, but they can get slow! Now these units, use the same chip as the PCI-e unit I am running in my WHS so they could be flashed to non-raid controller. And again they do not pass the temperature data.

Another older card I have used is the Promise FastTRAK S150 TX4 Controller Its a pretty good simple card, PCI, It is RAID, but can be used in a non-raid configuration. You can find them cheap on eBay, and there is a newer Sata-300 version out, if you need the additional speed. The newer version runs for about 70.oo$

I would like to close with my seconding your recommendation for a BYOB PodCast on SATA controllers, Mike, Micheal and Tim I enjoy the show and would love to hear your experiences with different controllers.

This is good stuff...thanks guys

Part of my question was experiances with a setup that uses both motherboard SATA ports together with SATA port on a Controller board (on a WHS system)

What I'm thinking is that my build will have 6 HDDs and the MBoard I may use only has 4 ports so I would need to add a PCI SATA controller with 2 more ports.

tbowland

This is good stuff...thanks guys

Part of my question was experiances with a setup that uses both motherboard SATA ports together with SATA port on a Controller board (on a WHS system)

What I'm thinking is that my build will have 6 HDDs and the MBoard I may use only has 4 ports so I would need to add a PCI SATA controller with 2 more ports.

tbowland

Yeah, its pretty much that simple, just get a card the has two ports(I would still suggest getting a 4 port, for future expansion, the cost addition is negligible).

So for example, let say that the MB has the 4 ports you are talking about(very common), and lets go out a bit more, and say that you Optical Drive (DVD?) is SATA also, your configuration might be like this:

Mother Board SATA

Port 1 - Boot/OS HD

Port 2 - CD/DVD Drive

Port 3 - Storage HD Drive 1

Port 4 - Storage HD Drive 2

Sata Add In Card

Port 1 - Storage HD Drive 3

Port 2 - Storage HD Drive 4

Port 3 - Storage HD Drive 5

Port 4 - Open for Future Expansion

Or you could do the same thing but use, the IDE port for the optical drive saving the SATA ports for the HD/Storage array, which is what I do. WHS does not seem to care how the drives are connected so don't worry about the controller card once you install the drivers for the controller its as if the drives are native to the MB controller, seamless!

Yes, you can add a controller that has 2 or 4 or XX. They should work fine together. As I mentioned, I have a four port controller running with the internal motherboard controller and all is well.

I'm currently using the onboard SATA and an additional SATA card (which also provides me with and eSATA port) and the only issue I've run into is the WHS Setup didn't immediately recognize the drives attached to the SATA Add-In Card. Luckily I could provide drivers, which worked in the end, but it is an additional step that I didn't need to do with the onboard SATA ports.

One thing to be aware of when adding more SATA ports to a machine is which bus those ports are running on.

With a PCI storage controller, you'll be limited to (theoretically) 266MB/s of I/O for all of the attached disks (plus anything else that is on that bus). In the real-world your limit will be even less.

With PCI-e controllers on the other hand, your (theoretical) bandwidth cap is much higher depending on the PCI-e version of the card and how many lanes it's using.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths#Computer_buses for more information.

For me, there was a noticable difference when I moved from 4-port PCI SATA2 Card to a 4-port PCI-e x4 SATA2 card..

You could also make the argument that if these are just storage drives, you'll most likely only be accessing one at a time, but for the additional costs it makes sense to remove the bottlenecks. (You'll appreciate it the first time you try to remove a drive...)

I would suggest that you use a pci-express controller if you can and that you get a controller with direct support that will not require external drivers as it make thing a bit easier. The controllers that I posted earlier work great and do not require any drivers other than what is already in windows.

@pcdoc

Thanks for posting those links and giving your approval. I will probably be grabbing that PCI 4 port you posted. My Gigabyte mobo for my hackintosh does not support AHCI, and only allows for IDE mode (Master/Slave). This card will be used for my data drives and eSATA externals that I have plans for.

Good luck with the card. I have had great luck with them, which is more than I can about my hackintosh.