RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SATA Question

senji323

When looking for a mother board I'm not sure what I'm looking at when it comes to SATA. I know on IDE you have a limitation to the amount of drives you could connect to the mother board. With SATA is it different, is there a hub or controller that used to expand the quantity of storage devices, or are you still chained down to what the mother board offers you?

IDE is limitedt to Master and slave per controller. The SATA is individual and varies based on the motherboard. As you can see from the picture, there are five SATA ports on this borad so therefore you can add 5 drives. The more port, the more drives you can add. Hope this helps.

sata.jpg

You can also add more SATA ports by adding controller cards. My WHS did not have any onboard SATA ports so I added a controller card, so no you are not restricted to onboard ports.

Yes, its not like the Old IDE days, I personally have 4 Sata Ports on my MotherBoard, and a 4 Port Controller in the PCI-e slot, I just worked on another machine that had the 4 Ports on the MB, and I added (2) 4 port controllers for 12 ports total.

The biggest single controller I have worked on was a 14 port Sata Controller.

Sata is so much nicer and easier to setup (no damn jumper for Master, Slave or Cable Select), thinner wiring and hot swap-able.

Thanks everyone for you answers on this. Thanks makes sense if I want to expand what the mother board has I will just have to get a pci Sata controller.

Thanks you for SATA. Love them. For the clean small cabling as well.

I have a related question.

PCDoc and ZeroHunter you have experiance with SATA controller cards....?

Zero hunter suggestes that it is possible to run onboard SATAs and SATAs from a controller on the same rig. Are there does and don't, Pros and Cons, limitations? Does the WHS storage pool handle this alrigh?

What is there to look out for on purchasing a SATA control. ( they run from $35.00 to $235.00 :huh: )

p.s. Unless I missed it SATA controllers could be a good topic for a BYOB segment.

tbowland

i think he was asking if you can daisy-chain or expand sata like scsi or usb and the answer is... not without an actual add-on controller card. sata would be cool if you could just keep expanding it like usb... but probably not a practical possibility ;)

The only suggestion I would make is to watch for heat build up which is often forgotten. It's easy to just look at how many sata ports you have and start stuffing in drives until you start wondering how you're getting data corruption.....

I know it sounds obvious but I have seen that mistake made

tbowland,

I have used sata cards a couple of times and they work great. I use a four port right now in my server as my motherboard only has 8 ports and I use the card below. I have a second one of these I am going to put to another server as well. There cheap and they work great.

PCI Express

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124027&cm_re=sata_controller-_-16-124-027-_-Product

PCI Version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124028&cm_re=sata_controller-_-16-124-028-_-Product