RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP ProLiant Gen8 best OS to optimise as media server.

FatPaulie

My Gen8 should be arriving on Friday and I want to know which OS would optimise the Gen8 as a home media server best. This is going to sit in my living room so also would like it to be light so as not to be too noisy.

I also purchased after much research this drive - 4 TB Seagate NAS drive http://www.ebuyer.com/514999-4tb-seagate-3-5-nas-hard-drive-st4000vn000and at a later date look at either a full SSD or SSHD to run the OS.

I currently have a WD My Book Live 2 TB, so until I familiarise myself with the micro server I am just using this as a backup and not concerned with a RAID solution as of yet.

I have been looking at Freenas and I have a copy of Windows 7 Professional. 

I mainly will want to run the below,

Plex Media Server

uTorrent

TheRenamer

Possible simple RAID solution at later date.

What is the best OS to install to optimise running a media server and the programs listed (or suggested alternatives) but mainly to optimise streaming as a home media server.

Thanks for any help!

My Gen8 should be arriving on Friday and I want to know which OS would optimise the Gen8 as a home media server best. This is going to sit in my living room so also would like it to be light so as not to be too noisy.

I also purchased after much research this drive - 4 TB Seagate NAS drive http://www.ebuyer.com/514999-4tb-seagate-3-5-nas-hard-drive-st4000vn000and at a later date look at either a full SSD or SSHD to run the OS.

I currently have a WD My Book Live 2 TB, so until I familiarise myself with the micro server I am just using this as a backup and not concerned with a RAID solution as of yet.

I have been looking at Freenas and I have a copy of Windows 7 Professional. 

I mainly will want to run the below,

Plex Media Server

uTorrent

TheRenamer

Possible simple RAID solution at later date.

What is the best OS to install to optimise running a media server and the programs listed (or suggested alternatives) but mainly to optimise streaming as a home media server.

Thanks for any help!

You can use XPEnology from usb which is the one im using at the moment.

You can install Plex and other addon packages, not utorrent but there are similar ones you can use

Regards

RS