RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rmccas

xpenology fail - no hp raid support - Moving to lsi

rmccas

In the months I've been running two XPEnology boxes, my understanding is that DSM does not support hardware RAID because it is written to only do software RAID. In other words, you will need to pass off the drives to DSM directly and let it handle disk redundancy in software.

thanks for the info, I have seen some users on XPE forum using this type of cards with xpenology. never the less i need a proper raid card. if it doesnt work with XEP then its time to change.

Regards

RS 

Taffeys
I have not tried an LSI SAS2008 PCIe 2.0 card with XPEnology yet so I do not have first-hand experience on how it performs in that environment. I do use an LSI 9211-8i flashed to "IT" mode in my Dell T20 with a ZFS disk array. It has worked flawlessly. It also worked perfectly in my N54L before I built the T20.

Heat has not been a problem for me with the LSI 9211-8i. I was just warning you about what I experienced with a Dell PERC H310 and what some other users have reported with some of these cards.

This is what Avago has to say about firmware for the LSI SAS2008 PCIe 2.0 cards.....

"What is the difference between “IT” and “IR” HBA firmware? “IT” firmware maximizes the connectivity and performance aspects of the HBA. “IR” firmware offers limited RAID functionality via RAID 0, 1, and 10 capabilities."

rmccas

I have not tried an LSI SAS2008 PCIe 2.0 card with XPEnology yet so I do not have first-hand experience on how it performs in that environment. I do use an LSI 9211-8i flashed to "IT" mode in my Dell T20 with a ZFS disk array. It has worked flawlessly. It also worked perfectly in my N54L before I built the T20.

Heat has not been a problem for me with the LSI 9211-8i. I was just warning you about what I experienced with a Dell PERC H310 and what some other users have reported with some of these cards.

This is what Avago has to say about firmware for the LSI SAS2008 PCIe 2.0 cards.....

"What is the difference between “IT” and “IR” HBA firmware? “IT” firmware maximizes the connectivity and performance aspects of the HBA. “IR” firmware offers limited RAID functionality via RAID 0, 1, and 10 capabilities."

What are you using ? zfs datastores ? i like it

freenas ? nexenta? omv??

Taffeys

What are you using ? zfs datastores ? i like it

freenas ? nexenta? omv??

NAS4Free; see my signature for details.

GotNoTime

thanks for the info, I have seen some users on XPE forum using this type of cards with xpenology. never the less i need a proper raid card. if it doesnt work with XEP then its time to change.

People get the various hardware RAID cards to work by building custom kernel images with the necessary driver already integrated. The earlier version of Xpenology had the hpsa driver but the newer XPEnoboot doesn't appear to have it.

The HP P222 card gets extremely hot and iLO reports it as being 85C. If you take the case off the microserver then the server start to overheat within minutes then forces a shutdown.

rmccas

Can you tell me why you choose NAS4FREE ? ive read somewhere that for zfs the best software is nexenta?!?!!? How long you have it running ?

Can you tell me why you choose NAS4FREE ? ive read somewhere that for zfs the best software is nexenta?!?!!? How long you have it running ?

People get the various hardware RAID cards to work by building custom kernel images with the necessary driver already integrated. The earlier version of Xpenology had the hpsa driver but the newer XPEnoboot doesn't appear to have it.

The HP P222 card gets extremely hot and iLO reports it as being 85C. If you take the case off the microserver then the server start to overheat within minutes then forces a shutdown.

thanks for the nfo. i really wanted the P222 has it can be monitored on ILO, and since i bought an ADV license i though of using it. But now i will be moving to the LSI has its quite cheaper

Taffeys

I was tired of Microsoft and hardware raid failures so I started looking for another answer. I tried FreeBSD, FreeNAS, and NAS4Free. I decided I liked the NAS4Free GUI and wanted something more stable than FreeNAS. Never considered NexentaStor (but now I will have to take a look at it). Been using NAS4Free for about two years.

• Like 1

Dvampoul

Hi rmccas, I see you are on the XPenology forum asking the same questions. You do not tell us what your intended role is for your server so it is difficult to give specific recommendations.

The LSI SAS 2008-based cards are popular SAS 6.0gbps/ SATA III controllers because they are inexpensive and are very good host bus adapters (HBAs); however they are not recommended as hardware raid controllers since they lack battery-backed cache.

I am assuming you will used Synology software raid so you should flash whatever LSI SAS 2008-based card you chose to use to "IT" firmware and not flash the bios to the card. (The LSI 9211-8i and IBM M1015 cards can be flashed to either "IR" or "IT" firmware.)

Be aware that these cards can run HOT; I have played with a Dell PERC H310 and it gets really hot (heatsink on this card is cheap and way-too-small). My LSI 9211-8i isn't as bad but it too runs pretty warm.

Also, DO NOT use LSI P20 firmware as there have been many reports of array and drive failures with this version; go with P19 firmware.

I'm curious, what are you using the SSD for?

Hello Taffeys,

Since i see you have very good knowledge on XPEnology Did HP B120i suported on Synology's OS?

I Buy this server with the idea to make it only XPenlolgy but now i am using ESXi and planned to make a VM as XPenology.

Will i be able to use RAID0,1 on Synology ? WIll VM see the volume?

Thanks for help

Taffeys

Hello Taffeys,

Since i see you have very good knowledge on XPEnology Did HP B120i suported on Synology's OS?

I Buy this server with the idea to make it only XPenlolgy but now i am using ESXi and planned to make a VM as XPenology.

Will i be able to use RAID0,1 on Synology ? WIll VM see the volume?

Thanks for help

Sorry but I'm not able to help you with most of your questions. I don't have a Gen 8 server, I have never used a B120i controller, and I also don't  run any VMs. I don't see why you couldn't use Raid0 or 1 on XPEnology since Synology supports both.

Dvampoul

Thanks for help anyway i will re-search it in XPenology forums.

BR