RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rmccas

xpenology fail - no hp raid support - Moving to lsi

rmccas

Hi All,

i bought a gen 8 recently and im trying to figure out a raid card to be used with xpenlogy.

Unfortunately the XPenology doesn't support HP smart arrays controllers which is a fail since i was aiming for the P222.

This is a clean setup with xpenology installed on the usb or on the odd port  with an ssd and a Raid 10 (4x4TB WD RED) to support all type of files.

I tested with B120i and its to slow. Also i dont feel my data is safe with with this type of fake raid cards and i want full sata 3 Performance

LSI is supported and i was aiming for this raid card: LSI 9211-8i which is affordable and have good performance.

But to complicate things i just saw a post stating that there is another card IBM M1015 that can be flashed to an LSI9211-IR mode and provide the same performance.

Whats the difference between this two option ? or is just cheaper to get the IBM and flash it?

thanks

RS

rmccas

A IBM M1015 is a LSI 9220-8i:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-m1015-part-1-started-lsi-92208i/

Serve the Home has done a 4 part series on the IBM/LSI cards and IT vs IR firmware. Part 4 talks about 9211-8i:

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Yes i have seen those parts, and i quite enjoy it. 

To be honest i think the have the same performance, its just a matter of price 

I found a cheap card from ebay for 68 Pounds, but its from china and don't know if this is a replica or the original product.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LSI-Internal-SAS-SATA-9211-8i-6Gbps-8-Ports-HBA-PCI-E-RAID-Controller-Card-/271573727626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3b0e398a

Regards

RS

Taffeys
Hi rmccas, I see you are on the XPenology forum asking the same questions. You do not tell us what your intended role is for your server so it is difficult to give specific recommendations.

The LSI SAS 2008-based cards are popular SAS 6.0gbps/ SATA III controllers because they are inexpensive and are very good host bus adapters (HBAs); however they are not recommended as hardware raid controllers since they lack battery-backed cache.

I am assuming you will used Synology software raid so you should flash whatever LSI SAS 2008-based card you chose to use to "IT" firmware and not flash the bios to the card. (The LSI 9211-8i and IBM M1015 cards can be flashed to either "IR" or "IT" firmware.)

Be aware that these cards can run HOT; I have played with a Dell PERC H310 and it gets really hot (heatsink on this card is cheap and way-too-small). My LSI 9211-8i isn't as bad but it too runs pretty warm.

Also, DO NOT use LSI P20 firmware as there have been many reports of array and drive failures with this version; go with P19 firmware.

I'm curious, what are you using the SSD for?

Edited by Taffeys

GotNoTime

This is a clean setup with xpenology installed on the usb or on the odd port with an ssd

The Microserver SATA ODD socket is not bootable when using AHCI. It is only bootable if you're using the Microserver with the B120i enabled. I'm not familiar with Xpenology to know if this will cause a problem or not. It is unlikely that the OS will support the B120i as it requires a special hpvsa driver that is different from the regular hpsa driver needed for the HP Smart Array cards.

i want full sata 3 Performance

Your bottleneck is actually the HDs. SATA II is 3Gbps which is nearly 2x what your HDs are capable of in sustained transfer. Edited by GotNoTime

Drashna Jaelre

I have 3 of the M1015's and after flashing, there is no difference that I'm aware of.

In fact, because I wasn't familiar with SAS when I bought them.... I really only need the one card. 

And yes, these cards are cheaper than the official LSI cards, in part because with flashing the firmware is locked down by IBM.

Also, don't use the M1015 if you plan on doing RAID 5 arrays (in hardware) as they're apparently very slow (as indicated by the Serve The Home artivle that has been linked already.

As for SATA III performance... if you're using HDDs, then it doesn't actually matter. You'll max out the drives long before you saturate the bus. 

(and at 120MB/s, and PCIe 3.0, you would need to run ~37 HDDs at max to saturate the card's bus, IIRC)

GotNoTime

Also, don't use the M1015 if you plan on doing RAID 5 arrays (in hardware) as they're apparently very slow (as indicated by the Serve The Home artivle that has been linked already.

The LSI SAS2008 only supports hardware RAID 0, 1 and 10. The RAID5 support you can unlock is actually software RAID handled by the firmware but IBM are very quiet about advertising that fact. Edited by GotNoTime

Drashna Jaelre

The LSI SAS2008 only supports hardware RAID 0, 1 and 10. The RAID5 support you can unlock is actually software RAID handled by the firmware but IBM are very quiet about advertising that fact.

Sounds about right.

But honestly, I believe that parity is unnecessary in most cases (especially at home). Mirroring is better, in 99% of cases... baring "space savings". But if you really think that the data is important... mirroring is better.

That said, I use the controller to just pass my disks through. You can use IT or IR mode to do this, and both work fine. I would recommend IR mode, as it gives you the option to do both (more options is better).

Also, if you NEVER plan on booting from these disks, you can skip the management BIOS and that will speed up the boot process.

rmccas

Hi all,

Thank you all the feedback.  :)

I'm setting up the microserver gen 8 to be a NAS to support media and probably some VMs to my esx servers, trough NFS or iscsi.

I already have 2 N54L running XPEnology:

• 1 for vmware with 4xSamsung 250 evo SSDs with software raid,
  • 2 serving all types of files. (Plex, files, docs, photos etc..) with 4x1 1TB WD RED.

I know its not ideal, although the n54l have the modded bios it can only achieve sata 2, and thats why i decided to upgrade to gen 8.

The gen 8 will replace the two n54L with a proper raid controller to serve both purposes.  I'm also considering add the SSDs to the raid controller just for vmware datastores, but i think i probably need the SDM-R2 expander to fit all the disks in.

The B120i is not an option and on my opinion is just a piece of #%$%.. thats why im looking for a proper raid card.  LSI will support 2 arrays with proper speed and safeguard. one with ssds and the other with normal disks

Setup

1. HP Microserver Gen 8 with a normal cpu (celeron) witch i can change if i needed to.
  2. 16Gb RAM
  3. 4x4 WD RED 4TB Sata 3 Raid 10 
  4. The LSI 9211-8i or IBM M1015 ???
  5. SDDs to be added later on.(Samsung EVO 250GB x4) Raid 0

You mentioned that this controllers are very hot and generating lots of heat Any suggestions to lower the temps on it ?? new fan ? heatsinks ?

Best Regards

RS

oj88

In the months I've been running two XPEnology boxes, my understanding is that DSM does not support hardware RAID because it is written to only do software RAID. In other words, you will need to pass off the drives to DSM directly and let it handle disk redundancy in software.