RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Poppapete

Internet Access ?

oj88

Is ICMP as a protocol blocked, or just the echo request/echo response service?

I may be wrong but I believe if you turn off ICMP totally, you wouldn't be able to conduct traceroutes from inside your LAN going out to the internet for purposes of troubleshooting, for instance. Traceroute relies on ICMP Time Exceeded for it to work, at least on Windows systems.

Poppapete

oj88,

From your signature it looks like you use pfSence. It is a pussy cf Sophos.

Sophos has "Global ICMP settings:

These settings define how the system handles ICMP packets. Allow ICMP on Gateway will make the system respond with ICMP messages. Allow ICMP through Gateway will make the system forward ICMP traffic if originating from an internal network. This will not work in Bridge Mode (see online help for more information). When Log ICMP redirects is enabled, the firewall log will have entries for ICMP redirects the system receives.

Sophos has Ping settings:

These settings define how the system handles ICMP packets of type ’Ping’. You can enable ping visibility, forwarding and pinging from the gateway itself. In Bridge Mode using Gateway forwards Pings will not work (see online help for more information).

Sophos has Traceroute settings:

These settings define how the system handles traceroute packets. You can enable traceroute visibility, forwarding and traceroute from the gateway itself. In Bridge Mode using Gateway forwards Traceroute will not work (see online help for more information).

Oj88, You are the one got me checking the ICMP setting which is set at "not allowed" by default and solved my problem and it was a major problem in my house because it is my wife who uses the Sony BD player to access the internet.  I never use the darn thing. So thank you again.

blank1x1.gif

oj88

That's good.

I haven't played around with Sophos yet. I have it in a VM along with pfSense but I haven't gotten around doing what I needed to do.... which is to try use Sophos in bridge mode and have pfSense behind it do the NATting... both running on a single N40L.

The reason being, I have way more than 50 IP addresses at home and that presents a problem with Sophos. But maybe if pfsense does the NATting, thereby hiding my LAN from Sophos, I could get to use features from both platforms.

That is if I can get it to work or if it's worth the trouble.

Poppapete

The 50 limit is problem but it is free at that level. I believe that you can have more than 50 IP's but only 50 connected IP's. Would you have more than 50 actually connected at one time?

Of course with "The internet of things" 50 is not many. The answer is to have a 2nd or 3rd LAN. I keep my security cameras on a separate LAN and have a guest wireless LAN for guests and internet access for our phones when they at "at home". My ISP allows 4 external fixed connections which is why I am using them.

Probably off topic so I will finish there!

ikon

As I've said in the past, you are extremely lucky to have an ISP that allows more than 1 connection. Having your security cameras on a separate LAN is a great idea; I recommend it to everyone. If nothing else, have them on their own VLAN.

For me, the IoT is a non-starter. I'm not going to have my refrigerator on the Internet...... uh, no, just no. I would have Internet access to security cameras, and my server, but that's about it.

oj88

In my situation, I demonstrated in another thread that I have three cheap tablet "appliances" doing dedicated jobs (NTP desk weather+clock, a Spotify/Pandora palyer piping music to a Bluetooth receiver, and a bedside CCTV viewer/monitor). But the bulk of IP consumption in my case are the mobile devices from family members.

ikon

I would love to find an app that would allow me to turn a tablet into a digital photo frame. The major caveat is that the app must be able to retrieve photos from one or more email addresses. IOW, someone can send an email with a photo attached to a specific mailbox and the app will log into the mailbox, retrieve new emails, save the attached photos, and display them.

schoondoggy

I would love to find an app that would allow me to turn a tablet into a digital photo frame. The major caveat is that the app must be able to retrieve photos from one or more email addresses. IOW, someone can send an email with a photo attached to a specific mailbox and the app will log into the mailbox, retrieve new emails, save the attached photos, and display them.

You may want to start a new thread.

Dayframe is an Android app that is used for this. It links to several services, Flickr has an email to option.

With Dayframe and Flickr you could do it.

ikon

Thanks. I've never heard of DayFrame. It's an interesting product alright, but I'm looking to not put photos on a 3rd party server. I know it's all the rage to post photos of oneself, along with all of one's family and friends, everywhere, but I'm not interested in that at all.

IIRC, I did post a request in its own thread some time back, but no one seemed to have any ideas. I think I will have to leave it, or develop my own app.

schoondoggy

I only recommend something like Flickr as it is the easiest way to automate something like this. I understand the concern around cloud services, but your email is already passing through lots of other peoples servers. There are addin's for Outlook that will auto save attachments, not sure about mobile versions. It seems like there are addin's for Touchdown as well. There are several IFTTT recipes that will save email attachments and save them in Google drive, but of course that would be a 3rd party server. Probably the same server the email is being delivered from:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/search?q=save+email+attachments&ac=false

Thanks. I've never heard of DayFrame. It's an interesting product alright, but I'm looking to not put photos on a 3rd party server. I know it's all the rage to post photos of oneself, along with all of one's family and friends, everywhere, but I'm not interested in that at all.

IIRC, I did post a request in its own thread some time back, but no one seemed to have any ideas. I think I will have to leave it, or develop my own app.

I only recommend something like Flickr as it is the easiest way to automate something like this. I understand the concern around cloud services, but your email is already passing through lots of other peoples servers. There are addin's for Outlook that will auto save attachments, not sure about mobile versions. It seems like there are addin's for Touchdown as well. There are several IFTTT recipes that will save email attachments and save them in Google drive, but of course that would be a 3rd party server. Probably the same server the email is being delivered from:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/search?q=save+email+attachments&ac=false