RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't access 2 servers on my laptop?

Grant B

Greetings,

I have an EX495 running WHS v1 and have the Connector software loaded on my laptop. I installed WHS 2011 on my old desktop to evaluate it prior to building a new server. When I tried to install Dashboard on my laptop, the install failed and it told me that I can only access 1 server at a time??

What is the reason I cannot have the original Connector software and the new Dashboard software running and accessing separate server?

Cheers,

Grant

Common issue. The WHS2011 detects the v1 connector and blocks you from installing it....

Uninstall the v1 connector, install the WHS2011 connector and THEN reinstall the v1 connector.

This shouldn't affect WHSv1 at all, and it should continue to identify your system as the same system.

Just to add a little, Microsoft's vision was that a WHS client would be linked to one, and only one, WHS server. You're not supposed to be able to connect to two servers using the DashBoard. At least, that was the idea....

• Like 1

There is a fix for it -- you'll have to go back thru the old threads but I believe initially you could just uninstall the WHS1 Connector - install the WHS-2011 connector - the re-install the WHS1 connector but MS had an update to WHS1 that later prevented that -- you'll have to remove that update first before doing the above process.

I'll search thru my old notes and look for the procedure -- I was doing it for awhile so I know it can be done.

Yup, but they never updated the WHSv1 code to reflect this. :)

There is a fix for it -- you'll have to go back thru the old threads but I believe initially you could just uninstall the WHS1 Connector - install the WHS-2011 connector - the re-install the WHS1 connector but MS had an update to WHS1 that later prevented that -- you'll have to remove that update first before doing the above process.

I'll search thru my old notes and look for the procedure -- I was doing it for awhile so I know it can be done.

That's what I recall too JM. I only had both Connectors installed on my main desktop a couple of times before I  transitioned completely to WHS2011, but I recall there being an issue at one point MS put out an update that broke the dual install.

That's what I recall too JM. I only had both Connectors installed on my main desktop a couple of times before I  transitioned completely to WHS2011, but I recall there being an issue at one point MS put out an update that broke the dual install.

.... well tells you when I left WHSv1 :P

Though, you can always connect to the shares on both without problem.