RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Newbie needing advice

Ratchet

Hi first post here so apologies if it's in the wrong place so I bought an hp microserver gen 8 the other day to replace my nas but it seems it's not as straightforward as my nas to setup. What I am looking for it to do is storage, all devices connected to the network to access it and for it to download torrents but would also like to know what other home uses there are.

What software do you suggest running on it, was looking at freenas but it recommends 8gb RAM which I don't have at the moment another one I am looking at is XPEnology but really not sure how to install it do I put it on a usb stick and boot from there or on to a hard drive (would prefer this) as I have a spare 500gb drive from a laptop that I would like to use, this brings up another problem looked at putting it where the optical drive goes but don't see how to connect it.

Sorry if it's a bit vague but I really am quite clueless when it comes to technology and it takes a lot of trial and error to get things working ok so if you can keep it simple it would be much appreciated.

For Xpenology, the default installation method is to use both a USB flash drive and a hard drive (preferably more than 1). The USB flash drive holds the boot files, and the hard drive holds the bulk of the OS.

There is a technique where Xpenology gets installed completely to a hard drive, but I don't recommend it. The issue is that, when there is a major update, you have to completely reinstall from scratch. Using a flash drive allows you to upgrade more easily.

For Xpenology, the default installation method is to use both a USB flash drive and a hard drive (preferably more than 1). The USB flash drive holds the boot files, and the hard drive holds the bulk of the OS.

There is a technique where Xpenology gets installed completely to a hard drive, but I don't recommend it. The issue is that, when there is a major update, you have to completely reinstall from scratch. Using a flash drive allows you to upgrade more easily.

Thanks for replying I will look into that do recommend any other setup for what I am looking for.

I don't have any specific recommendations. I just used some cheapo stick I had lying around. Look, it's not really an issue. You try a stick. If it doesn't seem to work it may be a drive that doesn't support properly being a boot device. Just try another stick.

Most OS that will run from a USB drive recommend getting a USB drive the supports static wear leveling.

Almost all new name brand USB drives do.

Corsair is usually quick to point out which USB drives they make have SWL. You have to hunt on others. 

You don't really have to worry about wear leveling with Xpenology. The flash drive is just used to hold the boot loader. It jumps to the HDD pretty quickly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
hi wondering if I can ask for some more advice I managed to get up and running with expenology but now nothing Sinology assistant won't pick it up. I tried a fresh install but still the same it says no Synology servers found it also doesn't show any IP address in Synology assistant . At a loss here.