RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What happens to old processors?

Royco

I'm currently using a Microserver gen 8, which supports certain models of the Xeon E3 series.

I'm considering upgrading the 1610t processor to a Xeon E3-1220Lv2 (or other) and wonder whether I should buy one soon. The series is getting old and wonder how long they will remain available. Do they destroy the stocks? How does this work?

It's simple: Intel stops making processor X. They will be available for sale until the units in the supply chain finally run out: i.e. when they've all be sold. After that, you pretty much have to get them on eBay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing, I am struggling to source an E3-1265L V2, it seems they are fetching a big premium wherever they are in stock (very few places!). They cost 40% now than they cost in December 2014. I guess this is only going to get worse so it's a case of buy now or try to get lucky on eBay?

Let me just say that this is part of the reason why I prefer building my own server from commodity parts. Aside from the cheaper outright costs, the granularity afforded by allowing me to choose my own parts adds to the excitement and uniqueness of one's build.... I think of it as the modern-day Heathkit.

Of course, doing so means relinquishing certain perks like 3-year warranties and other premium after-sales support. And depending on your choice of parts, the quality does vary and can be a problem in certain situations. But if you're already a tinkerer, you don't need a degree to figure out and fix most issues.

OEMs are more for reliability and compatibility than anything else. Makes sense when running mission-critical apps in an organization. But for a home server, I don't think they offer a good bang for the buck, IMHO.

• Like 1

It's simple: Intel stops making processor X. They will be available for sale until the units in the supply chain finally run out: i.e. when they've all be sold. After that, you pretty much have to get them on eBay.

Correct.

If you see quantity of anything on ebay it is probably excess inventory from an OEM.

Last year there were several XEON flavors on ebay that were not in the ARK. These were special versions for (guessing) FaceBook/Google/,,,,,

When I got my Xeon off of eBay it was used having been pulled from previous equipment but the price was attractive and it worked.

Yeah a lot of what we can afford off ebay come from Electronic Recyclers.  Just like cars the parts are worth more than the whole and you can find some good deals.  Earlier today I saw 6 4506 Cisco Switches (up to 200 GB ports per switch and can be 10GB) for 500 for the lot.   Might be a bit older for Companies but for us we can easily get gear that is better quality/feature set at an attractive price.   Like Joe my Xeon as well as some of my network gear are ebay finds from part pullers.