RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My PC immediately shut down. Why?

Rod at home

I would uninstall the PowerAlert software, unplug the UPS control cable (typically the USB cable from computer to the UPS) but leave the UPS protecting the PC.

That's assuming that the UPS isn't throwing any errors when it does its self-test/diagnostics in a way of a warning LED or beep.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rod at home

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The error log you started the thread with has the file and version in it. If this error log is from your Win 8 PC, PowerAlert is loaded on it. Win8 probably downloaded it during installation.   Desc

If at all possible, I prefer to have the UPS software running on the computer it's protecting. The software is what allows the computer to shut down gracefully in the event of a power failure. The feature has protected my server and client computers a few times, so I'm glad to have it. Of course, if a stable version of the software that's compatible with the OS on the computer it's protecting isn't available, it's a different. In that situation I would most likely replace the UPS with one that has a compatible app.

In hindsight, it may just have been a transient event that sort of "just happened" and may probably not even repeat itself. Contrary to what I posted earlier, updating the app to the latest software instead of just uninstalling it may "refresh" any corrupted files if such existed.

I'd also recommend that you install WhoCrashed. It's a crash dump analyzer that shows you what caused the most recent crash in a one-pager report. The Home Edition is free.

Drashna Jaelre

In hindsight, it may just have been a transient event that sort of "just happened" and may probably not even repeat itself. Contrary to what I posted earlier, updating the app to the latest software instead of just uninstalling it may "refresh" any corrupted files if such existed.

I'd also recommend that you install WhoCrashed. It's a crash dump analyzer that shows you what caused the most recent crash in a one-pager report. The Home Edition is free.

There is also BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

And it's free-free.

schoondoggy

I don't think I've got the software on my Windows 8.1 machine. Maybe I'd better get it through that link?

The error log you started the thread with has the file and version in it. If this error log is from your Win 8 PC, PowerAlert is loaded on it. Win8 probably downloaded it during installation.

Description:

The PowerAlert Agent service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Description:

Faulting application name: pal.exe, version: 12.4.48.0, time stamp: 0x4fabf78f

Faulting module name: pal.exe, version: 12.4.48.0, time stamp: 0x4fabf78f

• Like 1

I agree with schoondoggy: if you didn't have TrippLite Alert Local installed on your Win8.1 computer, it wouldn't have caused your computer to crash.

The latest version I could find on the TrippLite download web site is 12.04.0055. I found it at http://www.tripplite.com/support/downloads/type/9/tab/2. The parameters I used are:

• Type: Software, Firmware, and Drivers,
  • Subtype: Software,
  • Product Category: Software.

The download was the first thing in the list.

Rod at home

The error log you started the thread with has the file and version in it. If this error log is from your Win 8 PC, PowerAlert is loaded on it. Win8 probably downloaded it during installation.

Description:

The PowerAlert Agent service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Description:

Faulting application name: pal.exe, version: 12.4.48.0, time stamp: 0x4fabf78f

Faulting module name: pal.exe, version: 12.4.48.0, time stamp: 0x4fabf78f

You are so right, schoondog.

I agree with schoondoggy: if you didn't have TrippLite Alert Local installed on your Win8.1 computer, it wouldn't have caused your computer to crash.

The latest version I could find on the TrippLite download web site is 12.04.0055. I found it at http://www.tripplite.com/support/downloads/type/9/tab/2. The parameters I used are:

• Type: Software, Firmware, and Drivers,
  • Subtype: Software,
  • Product Category: Software.
The download was the first thing in the list.

Thank you, ikon. I've just downloaded and installed the updated version of PowerAlert.

Rod at home

It happened again about 30 minutes ago. Earlier today I downloaded the most up to date TrippLite software and installed it. There's nothing at all in the event logs related to this. I'm really stumped, but this is bad. I honestly can't trust my machine.

Did you reboot the computer after upgrading the TrippLite software?

Have you verified that the TrippLite software is the newer version?