RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Server - I Love You!

jcollison

Backing up your WHS Shares?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are you backing up your Shares?

This might seem very simple and basic, but I just had to tell the story!

So a couple of weeks ago (I think I mentioned this on show 90 something?) I noticed that I was missing some mp3s from my WHS Music Folder. How can that happen you ask? Not really sure, but it looks like when I was loading up my Touch, I deleted songs as I was moving them. It's all still a mystery!

So this AM, opened my WHS (v1)console, whet to the last backup I had done to the ioSafe (6/30/2010), selected just the Music folder and told it to only restore files that were missing. Away it went! 30 minutes later the music was back, complete and I was very happy. Love it when a plan comes together!

Lesson learned? You MUST backup your network shares. File duplication would have not helped me here. It only worked because I had a point in time back up of the shares from before the disaster. If you are not backing up your shares, get an external drive and get that done today. If you want an excellent external drive, nothing beats the ioSafe!

I have never added a drive for backup, just because I didnt have the time. But since I started to upgrade my 1tb drives to 2tb green drives I have some extra drives I can install into my usb cases. Are you using whs to do the back up - BDBB or manual drag and drop

PS. I wish ioSafe would have tossed in a coupon code!

I use the native server backup in WHS for my shares and BDBB for my client backups. All works great right out of the box. It all goes to a 1TB ioSafe

An ICYDock MB662US-2S would also do the trick nicely! Both options are a little pricy but worth it. A regular external drive will do it as well.

I use only keepvault and only back up critical shares. Other than that I run a shares back up about once every 3-4 months and everything but media.

Jim,

I had a similar story and with my backup (which I bring to the safety deposit) done once every 3-4 weeks, I swap out two 1.5TB drives back and forth to have a fail safe backup. it's paid for itself once which was GREAT. I never lost the data.

and you only risk it once... wHS is such a great tool and BBDB is a life saver.

TheGuy

I recently accessed some music on the shares. Found out it moved the files in lieu of copying, very easier to have music missing that way. The back story is that my wife always talked about how she disliked Tim McGraw, only to find out that about half a dozen songs she really liked were by "Tim McGraw" of course.

Don't know if it's a bit "over the top", but this is what I do:-

1. Automatic WHS Backup of Windows Clients daily as standard.

2. Manual WHS Backup of Shares weekly to "5th Drive" in my Tranquil WHS box for mechanical failure.

3. BDBB once per week.

4. Realtime Keepvault backup of Shares to USB drive for easy "off site" when we go on vacation etc. (gets left at my office)

5. Keepvault nightly backup of Shares to "Cloud" for "off site"

Backed-up shares exclude DVD, Blu-Ray (I have the originals), and Recorded TV.

Wife would commence progressive removal of my vital organs if we ever lost any of her photos!!

StanHD

This might seem very simple and basic, but I just had to tell the story!

So a couple of weeks ago (I think I mentioned this on show 90 something?) I noticed that I was missing some mp3s from my WHS Music Folder. How can that happen you ask? Not really sure, but it looks like when I was loading up my Touch, I deleted songs as I was moving them. It's all still a mystery!

So this AM, opened my WHS (v1)console, whet to the last backup I had done to the ioSafe (6/30/2010), selected just the Music folder and told it to only restore files that were missing. Away it went! 30 minutes later the music was back, complete and I was very happy. Love it when a plan comes together!

Lesson learned? You MUST backup your network shares. File duplication would have not helped me here. It only worked because I had a point in time back up of the shares from before the disaster. If you are not backing up your shares, get an external drive and get that done today. If you want an excellent external drive, nothing beats the ioSafe!

Would Time Traveler have helped you here? It sounds like you said you must have accidentally deleted these files at some point, correct?

For me, for my "large" storage stuff (movies, CDs, etc), I have duplication turned off and will back up to another physical drive which then gets put away. For other stuff I have duplication turned on. For that other stuff, I also need to get off my butt and turn on an automatic cloud based solution, but have not yet done so.

Keith

Keith - I think Time Traveler would have worked, because it's a point in time back up. Good catch.

StanHD - You are my Hero! Nice job and there is never too much back up (or cowbell~!)