RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MicroSD OS Install and OS choice

serverking

Hello all,

Apologies for the basic nature of my questions, just got my Proliant Gen 8 server, 2 x 3TB Seagate NAS hdd's and 8 port HP switch. I will be using it mainly as a media server and store the occasional PC backup on.

I have just obtained a copy of Windows Home Server R2, is this best choice for a simple server? I want to keep running it as simple as possible.

Secondly can I install the OS onto the microSD card? I have a samsung 64GB UHS 1, Class 10 card. I figure this would be the best option to keep the two drives for storage if possible?

I have tried looking for these answers but couldn't find anything, please direct me to existing answers if these have already been looked at elsewhere.

Many thanks in advance!

Windows OS are not made to run from a microSD card, too much writing.

I would get a 180GB-256GB SSD for the OS and I would mirror/RAID1 the two Seagate's.

If you can afford two more of the seagates I would put them in a RAID10 and put the SSD on the ODD bay. 

Thanks very much schoondoggy, that is incredibly useful. So what you suggested is exactly where I want to end up i.e. with four drives in RAID 10 and OS on an SSD.

Ideally I wanted to get going on the current set-up of 2 hdd's. Is it possible to change the set-up (Raid 1 to Ten) at a later date without losing the data? If I was to install the OS on the SD card (if possible) would that make it easier to migrate it to the SSD at a later stage?

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, the B120i RAID does not allow you the migrate RAID sets, so you could not go from 1 to 10 on the B120i. When you are ready to go to RAID10 you could go to a P222 RAID card. The P222 would import the RAID1 from the B120i and allow you to migrate to a RAID10. But of course you are incuring the cost of the P222.

As for the microSD I cant think of any advantage of starting with it.

Do you have Windows Home Server 2011 or Windows Home Server?

If you have WHS 2011 it should be on a drive larger than 160GB. WHS likes to be on a large drive, but smaller than 2TB I believe. 

I have windows home server 2012 R2, I've just now installed it and it's showing me 1.99TB free of 1.99TB, when the formatted capacity is showing as 2.73TB, am I missing something fundamental here?

I'll give the SD card installation a miss if there's no clear advantage to it.

Think I'm going to have to get a P222 in the future to migrate across to RAID 10 as I need the server setup urgently (main PC has died and I need to somewhere to back up my data). The 3TB will definitely cover me for my current data need and then some, no doubt once I start using the server properly I'll need more drives sooner rather than later ;)

Really appreciate the feedback, and please do feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm asking for stuff that's already been answered.

Sorry I have Windows Server 2012 R2 (not windows home server), schoolboy error!

Windows server tends to force a 2TB partition. I find it is best to put Windows Server on a boot drive separate from the data drives. 180GB makes a nice boot drive. The seems to be a lot of Intel 180GB SSD's lately, reasonably priced.

ha, nice! so much for keeping it simple. OK so my final question to you (just today, I cant promise forever!) would be, if I could pick any OS bearing in mind it would be mainly a media server used by simpletons, what would it be?

Thanks very much

I might tell you to return the Gen8 MS and get a Synology or Qnap NAS. Lots of guys in the forum use CentOS or Ubuntu. If you want to boot from the microSD I would try FreeNAS or Open Media Vault.

Appreciate the frank answers Schoondoggy. I did go for the Synology initially but was frustrated about the hardware for the price tag, plus I'm looking forward to upgrading and personalising my HP server once I am up and running (I'm just not great with software, out of practise!). I'm looking into the FreeNAS and Open Media Vault options and have also just ordered an SSD for the OS. Thanks for the help thus far, will surely have more questions once I start setting up again!

I'm with you on the frustration with Syno hardware. It's always so underpowered for the price, and it can't run more than a very few of the apps they provide. Never made any sense to me.