RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Poor performance on B120i - Raid10

ZataH

I decided to use the b120i until i run out of space, and maybe buy the p222 then.

I have really poor perfomance on this controller. anyone know why?

4x 3TB WD RED

This is from my qnap with raid 5

qSHNdql.png

This is from my G8 with 2012 R2 Essentials and RAID10

gxiSd8s.png

Edited by ZataH

Have you updated all BIOS and firmware? How much memory is in the server? Are you running HyperV or WS2012R2E alone? In both of your tests it shows drive 'Z'. Are you running Crystal on a client over the network? If so, try running Crystal directly on the Gen8 and post what your network looks like.

Have you updated all BIOS and firmware? How much memory is in the server? Are you running HyperV or WS2012R2E alone? In both of your tests it shows drive 'Z'. Are you running Crystal on a client over the network? If so, try running Crystal directly on the Gen8 and post what your network looks like.

Updated everything through the intelligent provision. 8GB memory in the server. Havent installed hyper-v yet. 

Yes i was running it over network. Tried a local file copy on the server (4GB file) between my raid10 and my ssd. And the speed i got was between 10 and 35 mb/s.

Raid10 local

h8THZQL.png

I would have expected the writes to be faster, I will see if I have any RAID10 benchmarks to compare. It should still be able to be as fast as your QNAP over the network.

What does your network look like?

Apparently the HP intelligent didnt update all, because HPSUM had alot of drivers for my system. Did that and windows update. And seems like the speed is better now. 

New network test:

dCdtEzy.png

New local test:

rGmLJT6.png

The iso-file i used earlier for file copy test which gave me 10-35 mb/s, still gives low but around 50 mb/s now.

But if i copy a movie i get 100+ mb/s

EDIT: Forgot to mention network. 

Have Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD as router and a D-link Gigabit switch between, because i dont have enough ports in my Mikrotik atm. I am going to replace the switch at some point, but it shouldnt be bottleneck atm. 

Edited by ZataH

Do you have the server and the client PC on the Dlink? If not try that.

Nope. Microserver eth 1 + 2 and ilo is on the switch, but my pc i directly in the mikrotik. Will try to change it and test

Having both Ethernet ports from the server plugged in could be an issue as well, depending on how you have it configured. Try plugging in Ethernet 1 and iLo only not Ethernet 2.

I would encourage you to use only real Ethernet switches for linking your devices together: i.e. NOT router ports. You should have only 1 Ethernet cable in your router; the one that connects the router to your main Ethernet switch.

I would encourage you to use only real Ethernet switches for linking your devices together: i.e. NOT router ports. You should have only 1 Ethernet cable in your router; the one that connects the router to your main Ethernet switch.

Hmm. Good point. The Mikrotik router that ZataH is using is basically that. The router part hangs off 1 port of a built-in managed switch and the rest of the switch ports are what you see on the front of the box.

ZataH: Are the ports on your RB setup as a switch or a bridge? If you're using bridge then it means that you're pushing all the packets through the CPU which may be bottlenecking your transfers. Setting it up as switch means it is done in hardware by the Atheros switch chip inside. Your specific RB only has 1 switch chip so you aren't getting issues where people try to bridge across switch chips.