RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtual Media Center

senji323

How many people run Media center in a virtual machine on top of there home sever, so that can still get that capability that is not in home sever? Oh and what were you challenges in doing that?

I ran it for a while using Virtualbox as the VM. It ran fine, but I have stopped using it due to issues with my system drive. Once I replace the system drive, I may give it a try again. However, I have moved all my movies over to my Unraid server and I think I want to wait to do anything major on the WHS until I decide what to do with Vail or the other MS home server program (forgot the name).

Mike

• 3 months later...

Currently running MCE (Win7 Ultimate) in VirtualBox on my i3 WHS (4GB RAM). I repartitioned the C Drive on a 2TB drive to give me 80GB and am using 40GB of that as the virtual drive, and dedicating max memory I can to it - which may be overkill. Works well as the MCE for two XBOX360 extenders.

Only challenge is on (rare) occasion that I have to reboot the WHS, I have to administratively remote desktop in and start VirtualBox and then the virtual Win7.

Guest no-control

Not quite the same but I have both WHS and WMC and Vail as seperate VM's on WS08R2 via Hyper-V Role. No issues with the testing I've done.