RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BitLocker

ServerRookie

Yippee Yippee Yay - I am able to do server backup to and server restore from the encrypted USB HDD :D All I needed to do was to turn on the auto-unlock feature of BitLocker To Go for the USB HDD. I verified that if I plug the USB HDD into a different computer then a pop-up says ... encrypted by BitLocker, enter password ... but plugged into the server, no password is needed as per description of the auto-unlock feature of BitLocker To Go for the USB HDD. Thus I expect the automated scheduled backups won't necessitate me to standby with a password => I made the password really long/strong.

In any case, the manually initiated backups went without the slightest glitch. The manually initiated restores also went without a glitch. Of course, I restored only a single file in the original location - not a whole disk elsewhere - but the restore wizard allows for that and anything in between, so I am confident that BMR would also work, just don't have a spare HDD handy at the moment.

Gee, I have a hunch that client restore pivots on something very simple also, but what? Stay tuned!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ServerRookie

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• nrf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bitlocker protects against offline access to data - either by booting to a different device (USB or CD) or by pulling the hard drive and accessing it from another computer.  It does not protect agains

By default, BitLocker does require a TPM, which we discussed earlier; thankfully a simple GPO setting can resolve that. When there is no TPM on the mobo, you must have a USB stick. There's just no way

The TPM module is a cryptoprocessor for dealing with keys and signatures only. It isn't capable of helping with encryption/decryption of actual data on disk or network. The module is designed to be re

ServerRookie

nrf, no my client backups do not go to D: Let me explain. For my trial, I took an old W8 machine that I upgraded to W8.1 and further to WS2012R2E. It is a single HDD machine, and I believe that the WS2012R2E installation automatically created a D: partition in case I wanted to revert to W8.1. The folder ServerFolders is thus on the C: partition and client backups go to its subfolder 'Client Computer Backups'.

But yes, partition D: is nonetheless set to auto-unlock. In the same vein, I tried to put partition C: on 'suspend protection', but it still did not allow for client restore. Any further ideas?

Drashna Jaelre

nrf, no my client backups do not go to D: Let me explain. For my trial, I took an old W8 machine that I upgraded to W8.1 and further to WS2012R2E. It is a single HDD machine, and I believe that the WS2012R2E installation automatically created a D: partition in case I wanted to revert to W8.1. The folder ServerFolders is thus on the C: partition and client backups go to its subfolder 'Client Computer Backups'.

But yes, partition D: is nonetheless set to auto-unlock. In the same vein, I tried to put partition C: on 'suspend protection', but it still did not allow for client restore. Any further ideas?

If this is the "per file" restore from the dashboard (and I think it is), This has nothing to do with BitLocker then.

Check out this thead:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8906-problems-restoring-files-from-client-backup/

(there is an update that break the restore wizard on the client computers)

ServerRookie

Thanks for the link! I have just read through all 8 pages of the thread, and I indeed recognize the 'restore wizard crashing' issue for client restore but non-issue for server restore. I don't need to do any client restores for the next few months (very unlikely) but I could fall back on the workarounds in said thread if necessary.

My take-away from reading the thread is thus 'do nothing' until the issue resolves itself via the automatic Windows Updates, hopefully soon (May?) I certainly will monitor the developments in said thread.

Great forum!

Glad to hear you've got the server restore part working. Looks like you're well on the way to a fully working BitLocker configuration.