RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cjlee89

Upgrade - Hyper-V, WD Reds, SSD

cjlee89

HP MicroServer Gen 8 G1610T - 16gb RAM, Stock CPU and RAID Controller

I am starting to get parts in for my bare metal reinstall. Right now I am running ESXi from SD card with 2 WD Red 3tb in RAID 0 for data and VMs. I already have a 120GB SSD for a single drive RAID 0 on the ODD port. I will install Server2012R2 Datacenter for the host OS.

I have a few questions:

Are VMs ok to run off the 4 3TB Reds in RAID 10? Or should I look into getting WD Blacks for the OS drive of the VMs? Speed increase?

The stock processor only supports VT-x. Is there a huge benefit in getting a Xeon to support VT-d?

I will have 2 VMs:

1: DC, DHCP, DNS

2: File, Print, Media (Plex) - No transcoding needed though it has handled it ok in the past.

Edited by cjlee89

GotNoTime

Right now I am running ESXi from SD card with 2 WD Red 3tb in RAID 0 for data and VMs.

You're greatly increasing your chances of data loss by running RAID0. Do you actually need that performance increase for striping? I consistently got 140MB/s I/O from my WD Red 3TB in RAID1.

That said, you should always backup your data to some other medium. RAID isn't meant to replace backups.

Are VMs ok to run off the 4 3TB Reds in RAID 10? Or should I look into getting WD Blacks for the OS drive of the VMs? Speed increase?

I was fine with the performance (140MB/s) when running mirroring two WD Red 3TBs. I've since installed a HP Smart Array P222 card and 2 more WD Red 3TBs for RAID5 though. Whether you need faster drives is up to you as it is all down to what your workload is for those VMs.

You should compare the spec sheets. The actual throughput difference is only 7MB/s but there are quite a few other differences such as the Red being designed for 24x7 operation in a small NAS whilst the Black isn't etc...

Black: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771434.pdf

Red: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-800002.pdf

The stock processor only supports VT-x. Is there a huge benefit in getting a Xeon to support VT-d?

If you need passthrough of a PCIe device in the slot to a VM then you'll need the Xeon. If you don't need that then VT-d has no benefit to you.
  • Like 1

cjlee89

Thank you for the help! :)

The PCIe slot is empty and I have no plans to use it. Looks like I will get 2 more WD Reds and do RAID 10 for VMs and data.

All of my data is backed up to the cloud.

Edited by cjlee89

ikon

That said, you should always backup your data to some other medium. RAID isn't meant to replace backups.

Amen to that. :)

rmccas

why do you want to move from vmware to hyper-v ???

If you really want plex and dhcp/dns etc  just use xpeonology and your good to go.

On my personal opinion i would never move to hyper-x although is getting better its still 10 years behind vmware. And yes i work with both of them