RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
oj88

"Not enough free memory" in a file copy-paste operation

oj88

Here's a bit of a background. I have a Windows 8.1 PC that I do all my video editing and rendering. Once the videos are done, I put them on my WHS2011 so it can be made available through Plex. I have been doing this for years and the last time I did this was "several" months ago.

Now, seemingly at random times, whenever I cut or copy the said videos to WHS2011, I get the error. I can copy them to a local drive no problem, but not to the WHS2011.

As a workaround, from the Win8.1 PC, I first copied the videos to a NAS (XPEnology) using the same cut and paste method in Explorer and it was successful. Then from the WHS2011 console, I again cut and paste from the NAS to the server, also successful.

I've searched high and low on Google about this but I can't find a definitive solution. Task Manager clearly shows that I have enough free memory (under 50% utilization of the 6GB RAM).

CopyError_zpsb0nknox7.png

jmwills

Use X Copy.  This will generally resolve any timeout issues.

ikon

Or RoboCopy. :)

oj88

I appreciate the suggestions. But I'm equally anxious to know why this is happening.

ikon

I would still try the copy operations with Xcopy and RoboCopy, to see if it works. If it doesn't, it could mean something more serious is going on. Where I would start is with the disk drives and network.

jmwills

I appreciate the suggestions. But I'm equally anxious to know why this is happening.

What do the logs say?

oj88

I'll check it out later.

Here's something else. AFTER I was able to successfully copy the videos to the server through the workaround I mentioned (Win8.1 > NAS > WHS2011), I tried copying directly (Win8.1 > WHS2011) and it was working again.

The issue seems random / intermittent. At the moment, I don't have any idea how it started or how to reproduce it.

yodafett

You probably ran out of heap memory. This is the cause of most out of system resources messages. Ussually this is the GDI heap in spreadsheets, desktop icons, etc as it tracks the icons of everything supposedly view. These have been a set size and no amount of additional ram will help. Resolved 99% of the time by a reboot or by letting windows run a while and automagically clearing the heap. Cut, copy paste from within windows relies on GDI alot as it is part of the OLE and is horribly inefficient. Robocopy is your friend

• Like 1

oj88

You probably ran out of heap memory. This is the cause of most out of system resources messages. Ussually this is the GDI heap in spreadsheets, desktop icons, etc as it tracks the icons of everything supposedly view. These have been a set size and no amount of additional ram will help. Resolved 99% of the time by a reboot or by letting windows run a while and automagically clearing the heap. Cut, copy paste from within windows relies on GDI alot as it is part of the OLE and is horribly inefficient. Robocopy is your friend

I thought you said I ran out of cheap memory. :D

Anyway. that does make a lot of sense. It could probably explain why I was able to carry out the copy and paste operation a while later. I don't suppose there's something that can influence the GDI heap behavior through a registry entry or script to 'optimize' it? Or is this component too low level?