RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using both an SSD OS Drive and the internal DVD drive

louis2

Greetings All,

Quick question regarding adding the ability to use both an internal SSD hard drive (for the operating system) in the Gen 8 Microserver along with the internal DVD drive. Currently I have an SSD OS drive plugged into the internal blue USB port on the motherboard. Can I use a typical USB splitter on that port to re-connect the DVD drive that came with the server? If not has anyone worked out a solution for this? When I bought the server I disconnected the DVD drive and plugged in an internal SSD drive and set up all my arrays. Now everything is working great but I would like the ability to use the internal DVD drive.

Thanks in Advance!

JL

Currently I have an SSD OS drive plugged into the internal blue USB port on the motherboard. Can I use a typical USB splitter on that port to re-connect the DVD drive that came with the server?

No. That blue socket is a SATA port. You can't split it like that and I don't know of any SATA port multipliers that small. I expect the b120i won't like a port multipler anyway.

If not has anyone worked out a solution for this?

You need something like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C574Q5G which is a slimline SATA adapter that then plugs into the nearby USB socket on the motherboard and connects to your DVD drive.

Be aware that the blue SATA socket and bay 3 + 4 of the Microserver are SATA 2 3Gbps ports. Only bay 1 + 2 are SATA 3 6Gbps ports. Your SSD will be capped at 3Gbps.

Edited by GotNoTime

I am doing the same with mine except my ssd is in the 1st caddy bay and 3.5 hard drive dangling in the left side of the server. fitted the dvd writer yesterday but think my cable is coming from China so have been waiting a week already for it to turn up. As long as it has enough power from one USB port to power the dvd writer my server will be complete

Edited by tezray