RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you use Standard User account in WHS 2011?

g725s

Not necessarily.  Check the ACL's on the file/folder.  You could set up a Standard account, give it Full Control over that folder/share and run it from a UNC path.

This.

Well now that I cannot get Foobar2000 with the DNLA component to work.  I'm looking into at some of these you mention here.  Still trying to find out now if maybe Serviio will do the job.  Do you have any actual experience with Serviio?  It is ran from the Dashboard correct?

Yes, I've used Serviio in the past, and it does a good job.

But all the options that I mention have the option to transcode, so your device will be able to play the file regardless of it's actual codec. 

As for management, no, it's not available via the dashboard by default. You'd need to use something AWEICO Remote Launcher, or Advanced Admin Console to access the UI, or log in with remote desktop.

There is an add-in for it though:

https://serviiowhs.codeplex.com/downloads/get/323805

I won't say that it's reliable, because I've never actually used it... and the last update was January 2012...

As for Plex and Emby (Media Browser), they're both web based management.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• g725s

Not necessarily.  Check the ACL's on the file/folder.  You could set up a Standard account, give it Full Control over that folder/share and run it from a UNC path.

This.

Well now that I cannot get Foobar2000 with the DNLA component to work.  I'm looking into at some of these you mention here.  Still trying to find out now if maybe Serviio will do the job.  Do you have any actual experience with Serviio?  It is ran from the Dashboard correct?

Yes, I've used Serviio in the past, and it does a good job.

But all the options that I mention have the option to transcode, so your device will be able to play the file regardless of it's actual codec. 

As for management, no, it's not available via the dashboard by default. You'd need to use something AWEICO Remote Launcher, or Advanced Admin Console to access the UI, or log in with remote desktop.

There is an add-in for it though:

https://serviiowhs.codeplex.com/downloads/get/323805

I won't say that it's reliable, because I've never actually used it... and the last update was January 2012...

As for Plex and Emby (Media Browser), they're both web based management.

I did think of that Drashna, but he said he only has the default Admin account, so I wrote it off. But, now that I think about it, don't Scheduled Tasks run under the System account be default? If so, that may be the problem. Perhaps g725s needs to edit the task and ensure it's the Admin account that's running the task.

Administrators vs Administrator accounts in the permissions. IIRC, if you're not elevated, you don't get access to the "Administrators" stuff. I could be wrong, it's a long time since I've messed with that stuff.

But if foobar has some good logging, it may help reveal what the issue is. Otherwise, we're just guessing at the issue.

Well, that's another good option, as well. :)

For me, the nice thing about Asset UPnP is that it does install an Add-In to the Dashboard with many options for management of my music folders and files.

I might try Serviio as well as I have video and pictures that might be nice to access without turning on my HTPC.  I checked over on the Serviio forum and they are saying that the older version of Serviio which added an Add-In to the dashboard(above link) is outdated and buggy and suggested I just install the most recent version from the new main site.

Edited by g725s