RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you use Standard User account in WHS 2011?

g725s

Event Viewer may have details on what's being blocked...

But just add the foobar exe file to the firewall settings. Run "WF.msc" to get to it easiest. And add it to the inbound rules. (and outbound if you're having issues). 

Make sure that there aren't other exes for the streaming aspect of it.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• g725s

Event Viewer may have details on what's being blocked...

But just add the foobar exe file to the firewall settings. Run "WF.msc" to get to it easiest. And add it to the inbound rules. (and outbound if you're having issues). 

Make sure that there aren't other exes for the streaming aspect of it.

As I mentioned in my edit above I got it working by adding it to the firewall settings.  But so far only working when logged in as Admin.

I have since followed the instruction in the link you provided to have it run at boot.  

But for some reason it is not running at boot and now when I log in and try to open foobar2000 on my WHS2011 box I get the message:

"Internal error - cannot access configuration folder."  :unsure:

Where before I had both the <ServerName>: Home Server: (this is the DNLA for the shared folders),  and Foobar2000 Media Server (Administrator) [<ServerName>] in the DLNA options available on my receiver after setting up this Task neither show up.  And again when trying to open foobar2000 within my WHS2011 box I get the above message.

Edited by g725s

So I deleted the task and all was back to normal where I could be logged into WHS2011 as Admin and both the DNLA of the WHS2011 shared media folders and foobar2011's DNLA instance were available on my receiver.

So I set the task up again and again it killed both.  And again if I try and open foobar2000 in WHS2011 while logged in as Admin I get the message:

"Internal error - cannot access configuration folder."

Edited by g725s

It sounds like it's running in the background (as in, launched by the Task) and the running copy won't let you run a 2nd copy.

It sounds like it's running in the background (as in, launched by the Task) and the running copy won't let you run a 2nd copy.

How could that be?  I'm not logging onto the server.  I'm expecting foobar2000 as a DNLA server to just be available when you boot the server without having to login.  I'm thinking that it is a conflict with the DNLA of WHS share folders.  As before I installed foobar2000 and if I was logged in as Admin I would see the standard WHS2011 Shared Folders available in my list of DNLA on my receiver.  FYI, these WHS2011 Shared Folders only show up in the DNLA list if I'm logged in.

Rather, it sounds like a permission issue.

Which account are you using to run the program? And does that account have permissions to read AND write to the config folder?

Which account are you using to run the program? And does that account have permissions to read AND write to the config folder?

My WHS2011 box only has one account at this point.... the Administrator account.  And yes, I would assume that the Admin account would have those permissions.

why not use something like Serviio, Emby (MB3), PS3 Media Server, or other "dedicated" programs that can transcode?

Well now that I cannot get Foobar2000 with the DNLA component to work.  I'm looking into at some of these you mention here.  Still trying to find out now if maybe Serviio will do the job.  Do you have any actual experience with Serviio?  It is ran from the Dashboard correct?

My WHS2011 box only has one account at this point.... the Administrator account.  And yes, I would assume that the Admin account would have those permissions.

Not necessarily.  Check the ACL's on the file/folder.  You could set up a Standard account, give it Full Control over that folder/share and run it from a UNC path.

How could that be?  I'm not logging onto the server.  I'm expecting foobar2000 as a DNLA server to just be available when you boot the server without having to login.  I'm thinking that it is a conflict with the DNLA of WHS share folders.  As before I installed foobar2000 and if I was logged in as Admin I would see the standard WHS2011 Shared Folders available in my list of DNLA on my receiver.  FYI, these WHS2011 Shared Folders only show up in the DNLA list if I'm logged in.

I did think of that Drashna, but he said he only has the default Admin account, so I wrote it off. But, now that I think about it, don't Scheduled Tasks run under the System account be default? If so, that may be the problem. Perhaps g725s needs to edit the task and ensure it's the Admin account that's running the task.