RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you use Standard User account in WHS 2011?

g725s

I tried creating a Standard User account.  But when I try to log in I cannot.  Is there some trick to allow logging on to Standard User account?

When I try to login on the Standard User account I made in WHS2011 I get the message:

"You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer.  Please see your network administrator for more information."

Are Standard User accounts not allowed in WHS2011?  Or is there a trick to allow them?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• g725s

It's a server. Only adminsitrative users are allowed to log in.

To change that ... it's messing. "gpedit.msc" and find the login rights and add "users" to the list. I think.

But this is a bad idea in general. Why do you want to have a user log in?

Because I'd like an always-on DNLA server for serving up my FLAC music collection to my stereo receiver and wanted to use Foobar2000 on my server do to this.  However you have to be logged in and have Foobar active as the DNLA server.  And I was thinking that maybe I could do so on a somewhat safer Standard User account.

Ah, okay. 

So relavent to this thread:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9162-dnla-or-upnp-music-server/#entry99065

(for reference).

Using the Task Scheduler may work. You can chose to not elevate the process, so that would be just as secure.

However, if you REALLY want to log in locally, I think it's this:

run Secpol.msc (or gpedit.msc and find Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings)

find the Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment

Here, find the "Allow log on locally" option. Add "Users" to the list.

however, this will allow ANY user account to log in.

Using the Task Scheduler may work. You can chose to not elevate the process, so that would be just as secure.

Drashna,

What do you mean here?  I'm not sure what your getting at here by "elevate the process".  Can you elaborate a bit more on this?

Drashna,

Maybe you would know.  I did not previously have Foobar and its DNLA component installed on my WHS2011 box as if I could not determine if I could use it as a DNLA server for my FLAC collection why install it.  But your post made me want to try.

What is happening is that it does not show up on my receiver an Onkyo tx-nr626.  The only thing that shows up is what has always shown up; My server with all the shared folders, Music, Videos, Pictures, etc.  The Foobar DNLA server from my server does not show up.  I'm assuming that you cannot run, without tweaking setting, the DNLA server of Foobar2000.

Would you have a reason that Foobar2000 would not show up if ran from my server? It shows up if run from one of my client computers but not from the server directly.  Even though the DNLA server is shown as enabled and running within Foobar2000 on my WHS2011 box.

Edited by g725s

How are you running it?

If you're logging into the admin account and running it, then it "should" work. If it's not, then check Windows Firewall. That may be blocking it, actually.

Though, if DLNA is what you want, why not use something like Serviio, Emby (MB3), PS3 Media Server, or other "dedicated" programs that can transcode?

How are you running it?

If you're logging into the admin account and running it, then it "should" work. If it's not, then check Windows Firewall. That may be blocking it, actually.

Though, if DLNA is what you want, why not use something like Serviio, Emby (MB3), PS3 Media Server, or other "dedicated" programs that can transcode?

Yes logged on as Admin and running it.  It must be a firewall.  I'll have to look into how that works.  Where would l look to check the firewall setting for this?

Edit: never mind.  Typed Firewall in Search and it came up and I added Foorbar2000 and it now shows up and is working when logged in as Admin.  Now I need follow the posts you linked, and follow the directions to have it start when the server boots :).  Will do that later and report back.  

And as far as using other programs.  Because I'm used to Foobar2000 for my FLAC collection,  I know Foobar2000 transcodes FLAC without problem, and with my phone as the controller for the receiver, all the tagged info and media artwork show up on my phone.  Foobar2000 as the DNLA server on a client works great and I understand it.  Easy to make playlists and such, etc.  And I know nothing about those others that you mention here.

Edited by g725s